Surgery this week and still Terrified

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geff

Well I'm due for surgery to have my valve replaced via the bentalls procedure in 4 days 9th August 2024 and seems like the best solution on valve decision is the bovine valve and hopefully it will last 15 or more year because of my age 67 although there is great support out there from this site I'm still terrified regarding the operation has anyone got any last minute ideas that may help me relax in some way prior to the procedure and what concerns me more is that they want me to be admitted to the hospital Tuesday 6th August so they can do tests, hope to hear back from anyone who may be able to help me thanks

Why are you worried about the tests, I am confused about that. That is not a bad sign. The pre op tests are typical to give the surgeon info to make the procedure go smoothly.

in terms of calming down, whatever normally works for you - one of the easiest ways is to breathe in on a count of 3, breathe out on a count of 4, keep repeating as you encourage yourself to relax.

Thanks the tests i`m okay just did`nt understand why i had to be admitted 3 days before the operation what i`m terrified of is knowing what they will be doing during the operation

They’ll be saving your life and health during the operation, that’s what they will be doing. It’s good if they are doing the tests they need to make everything go as smooth as possible. Look I don’t want to act like this is no big deal. It’s a serious surgery and yeah you’re going to be in the hospital before and after. However it’s life- saving, focus on that. It’s beyond incredible that most of the people on this site are alive. 100 years ago, we’d all be toast. Just try to be the best patient you can and let them work their magic on you. Your worry won’t accomplish anything but make you upset.

Thank you so much for your honesty and being straight to the point and for making it easier for me to try and relax and as you say let them do their magic thanks again

what i`m terrified of is knowing what they will be doing during the operation
I'm not sure if you work on your own car, but I suspect you've never done major engine work yourself.

I raise this because I suspect that for you, knowing the details of what is done down to the nuts and bolts is nothing you've ever been interested in before.

It should exactly the same now. Who cares what they do and how they do it? It won't change that you'll wake up better with your health restored.

You simply need to have trust in them and their skills. I've had 3 of these surgeries and I've always come out better than if I'd not had the surgery.

Focus on what you have to do, don't look over the fence at what the guy next door has to do ... your role is to be a good patient and do your best in recovery to do their work justice.

From the book dune:

1722853530222.png

From the Greek Stoic Seneca
1722853871818.png

A good post from last year:
https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...ding-aorta-and-triple-cabg.889386/post-929681

has anyone got any last minute ideas that may help me relax in some way prior to the procedure
geff - I find that being totally focused on a simple body/mind task allows my mind to stop worrying. Shooting guns at a range, exercising, woodworking, etc. A simple task that is within my ability so I can focus on the motions without worrying about the result. I've seen some archers (in a save environment) shooting arrows with their eyes closed so they can focus entirely on the mind/body connection to the correct motions.

Some additional suggestions from various sources:
- Massage. Heck, get a massage each day leading up to the procedure.
- Sauna.
- Yoga. Just don't overdo it before surgery.
- Appropriate music that holds your attention while your mind and body relax.
- Playing with a pet. My cockatiel (bird) is great for this, but dogs and cats are also helpful.

You will be fine!

Hi Geoff, I understand the anxiety. I am in the middle of finding the right surgeon to replace my bicuspid valve. However, my approach is that at 72 years old, the moment they finish the surgery I will be reborn and given a new life, but with all the knowledge from my previous one. It is exciting for me to imagine what I will gain, conquering and repairing my flawed heart. I will be a warrior in recovery. I will be thankful for the added years to experience all the beauty of my existence. And I will cherish each day I have with my beautiful family, friends and community. I am so thankful for this amazing gift. Just keep repeating, everything is going to be alright!

Well I'm due for surgery to have my valve replaced via the bentalls procedure in 4 days 9th August 2024 and seems like the best solution on valve decision is the bovine valve and hopefully it will last 15 or more year because of my age 67 although there is great support out there from this site I'm still terrified regarding the operation has anyone got any last minute ideas that may help me relax in some way prior to the procedure and what concerns me more is that they want me to be admitted to the hospital Tuesday 6th August so they can do tests, hope to hear back from anyone who may be able to help me thanks
I found that saying rote prayers, such as the rosary, is helpful and calming.

Prior to surgery I found that talking with family and friends and repeating the fact that I felt was true; it is all out of your hands now and in the hands of experts whom have done this for a long time. Surgical units can handle every potential surprise. It's really quite fascinating. It will be over before you know it and your job towards recovery will begin. There will be tough times during recovery but you will get through it and probably quicker than you imagine. Good luck and I truly hope the anxiety lessens. Its such a waste of energy.

thank you all for your support and yes i will put all my trust in the surgeons on the day and do exactly what they say 3 days to go and feeling a lot better i go in to hosptial today and will notify you all once the surgery is done on 9th how things went take care all and thank you

It’s a serious surgery and yeah you’re going to be in the hospital before and after. However it’s life- saving, focus on that. It’s beyond incredible that most of the people on this site are alive. 100 years ago, we’d all be toast.
This
Sometimes one just has to take a win :)

Just try to be the best patient you can and let them work their magic on you.
A golden advice. The nurses and doctors appreciate good patients.

Last edited:
I am 68 years old and had Open Heart Surgery just 10 weeks ago. Just a few things I found useful.

- I realized there wasn't really a good alternative to having the surgery, so I made the decision and didn't look back. Whether you are a religious person or not the words "grant to us the serenity of mind to accept that which cannot be changed" rang true to me because the option of not having my heart fixed was not a realistic one.

- I did not spend much time researching all the details of all the tests and procedures I would be having (and I had a lot!). I knew if I did all the "what ifs" would simply increase my anxiety and it wouldn't change anything.

- With regards to pain, I thought that I would be sleeping through most of the significant procedures or under pain meds if I needed them which turned out to be an accurate assessment. I was very pleasantly surprised that after the surgery apart from just a couple situations the only pain med I needed was just extra-strength Tylenol. This when I spent a full 8 days in recovery from my OHS which had significant complications.

So Geff, I wish you the very best of luck and peace of mind from someone who was in your shoes just a few weeks ago.

Geff,
Look at me my friend. Just got the same procedure you're having mere days ago (july 23rd) and it went great. There are so many success stories here which will provide you assurance that you would be on the other side before you know it. You will be giving similar advice to others like a pro very soon :)

Having some level of anxiety beforehand is normal too. There've been some suggestions provided regarding mindfulness on this thread, so please try them out. I tried breathing exercises with eyes closed and it worked for me. Mind likes wandering, allow -ve thoughts to pass. They are fake and fabricated, and not true. True is the hundreds of testimonies here. Fill your imagination with a number of positive things awaiting you on the other side. There's a lot of excitement ahead, I promise :)

On the day of surgery, I was fairly conversational with the staff as they prepped me, which worked for me.... I even cracked jokes with my family in the waiting area. Do whatever keeps you in high spirits.

Those professionals who will be working on you know what they are doing and have done this everyday. Trust them my friend. Give them the "control", like you give to the pilot who flies your airplane when you travel. That giant of a piece of iron with 300+ passengers can fly 36,000 feet in the skies, even under turbulence, for hours by a human (pilot) with the assistance of technology. Your bentall procedure is the same thing too. It's all figured out by technology and surgeon and his/her staff. You are a mere passenger. Trust them.
And trust someone above and around.
YOU WILL BE FINE.

Every country has its own procedure e.g. checking in earlier (rather than getting tests done as outpatient). It's not uncommon. Pre-op tests are the same for everyone and necessary. I say being in hospital earlier would help you assimilate to the climate and provide further assurance that you are in good hands.

All the very best. You will do great and we will see you on the other side soon :)

Last edited:
the pilot who flies your airplane when you travel. That giant of a piece of iron with 300+ passengers can fly 36,000 feet in the skies, even under turbulence, for hours by a human (pilot) with the assistance of technology.
As a retired aerospace engineer, I must correct this statement. ;) My autopilot and autothrottle are "flying the aircraft". The pilot is just there to ... push a few buttons and talk with the passengers....

I'm kidding of course. We greatly value our pilots and I always enjoyed talking with them about how they use our equipment.

Thanks the tests i`m okay just did`nt understand why i had to be admitted 3 days before the operation what i`m terrified of is knowing what they will be doing during the operation
Hi Geff. I had mine in February 2022.
As the date arrives you'll be telling them to hurry up!
What are your plans after the operation?

I had mine in 2018. I remember my surgeon telling me that the person with the most important job going into surgery was me. A clear positive attitude is an important part of the procedure. Here I am six and a half years later and going strong. I won't kid you, recovery can be tough, but it is worth it in the long run. Never felt better.

I guess the alternative to not doing the surgery is a greater worry! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Every country has its own procedure e.g. checking in earlier (rather than getting tests done as outpatient). It's not uncommon. Pre-op tests are the same for everyone and necessary. I say being in hospital earlier would help you assimilate to the climate and provide further assurance that you are in good hands.
I think that an early check in also allows them to ensure that you are completely compliant with pre-surgery restrictions and enable the best possible outcome. I don't know if that plays into it at all, but it would make sense.

Occupy your mind with something that takes focus and that makes you happy. A puzzle, word games, a math problem. ;) My wife says a book. LOL She says books stop her mind from spinning when she can't get away from it in another way. I like to play Fort Nite. HAHAHA Yeah, I am a 50 year old man who loves to play Fort Nite on his phone.

Here's to wishing you smooth surgery with the best outcome possible!

As a retired aerospace engineer, I must correct this statement. ;) My autopilot and autothrottle are "flying the aircraft". The pilot is just there to ... push a few buttons and talk with the passengers....

I'm kidding of course. We greatly value our pilots and I always enjoyed talking with them about how they use our equipment.
The pilot has to be there for the 'just in case' scenario. Plus, planes can't actually take off and land themselves can they? ;)

Latest posts

Back