second surgery differnt heart valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JBriau

I had my mitral valve replaced in 10/01/99. At that time I received a Mechanical valve. I was unable to research the
different types of valves. I was very sick and needed
it replaced right away. I was told a mechanical valve would last
along time and probably not be rejected by my body.
I have no complaints about my valve it works good and I have
kept on ticking!!
At the time I my aortic valve had a mild leak but was not
touched because they didn't want to spread the infection.
I have been on close watch by my cardiologist because my
valve is leaking more. Iknow that when I see him on the
4th of this month, he will say surgery.
My question is: Do I have to have a mechanical valve for
my aortic? I have researched the different valves but
couldn't find anything out regarding 2nd surgery on
different valve. Help would be appreciated!

:) Thanks
JBriau

Hi,

From what my cardio has told me. Once you have one machanical, and need another op for another valve. They always put in another machanical. I'm sure that others will come along who can shed some more light on the matter. martha

It would be my guess that they will recommend mechanical. That will be your second surgery, and if you need a third in the future it is very dicey. My husband Joe had to have a third surgery. He has 2 mechanicals and one was leaking. It was very hard to get approval from the cardiologist because this is such risky surgery. Joe was very symptomatic, however, and it was done. The valve did not need replacing, just a repair. His recovery from the heart surgery has been excellent. He did however, have some collateral problems which are in the process of clearing up, and the surgeon remarked to me that there was quite a bit of scar tissue buildup from previous surgeries. That's a big obstacle in subsequent surgeries.

Mechanicals last a lifetime, for the most part, tissues do not.

Last edited:
I would personally go with the mechanical for the reasons Nancy mentioned above. Plus, you already take the Coumadin. That will not change either way due to your Mitral valve prosthesis.

According to my cardioligist....if you required a mechanical replacement for some reason it can be reversed to a tissue if you so desire.

Latest posts

Back