Roller Coaster replaces Merry Go Round - Aortic fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I started a thread in 2020, with Merry Go Round in the title.
I meant Roller Coaster - ups and downs, sharp turns, etc.
At first, it documented my nearly three months in the hospital with rhythm issues.

I documented tests and procedures after this.

Here's a sort of update:

Late last year, my heart rate jumped to 130 and above after minimal exertion, I didn't feel right. The jump made little sense.

My electrocardiologist said that it was aortic fibrillation. He defibrillated me in the office, then said that I need a node ablation. He suggested that once the node was non-functional, my aortic fibrillation would stop -- there wouldn't be anything to cause it to return.

Fast forward to yesterday. Although I'm not really feeling it (I was even having it while he was monitoring my pacemaker's signal), I was having it while the doctor was looking at the pacemaker's real time reports.

Now what?

Wasn't the ablation supposed to stop these from happening?

The ventricle was also fibrillating, but adjustment to my pacemaker stopped it.

I wasn't defibrillated to stop the aortic fibrillation.

I take warfarin, so the risk of plaque forming in my aorta and causing a stroke is very slight, if at all.

The doctor implied that I wouldn't be able to exert myself too much.

I'll do what I can.

None of this is any fun. I didn't tell my wife about the aortic fibrillation - she has enough to worry about. One more thing that isn't resolved won't help at all.

I'm having a PET scan next month. I haven't checked out what kind of diagnostic information this will provide.

I see the doctor again in four months.

I'll be doing a bit of online research about aortic fibrillation and see if I can find anything that will help provide more info.

Have any of YOU run into the same thing? (Aortic fibrillation). If you're still alive (and, perhaps, even if you're not), I'd certainly like to see your comments.

Update (sort of) - I checked Dr. Internet, and there was one poster who said that there is no such thing as aortic fibrillation. I think my electrocardiologist defined AFIB more clearly than general 'AFIB' by pinpointing the actual location - which atrium was actually fibrillating.
This made a difference, because my doctor also made changes to my pacemaker that adjusted the signal to the ventricle that was also fibrillating along with the aorta.

So - I recently started having paroxysmal afib with ventricular tachycardia, yeah. And I had a cardioversion that stopped one episode but it kept recurring a couple times a week. Put on flecainide and metoprolol now off both of those due to feeling awful. Haven’t had any noticeable episodes for a month. But still on Eliquis maybe forever.

Your situation sounds closer to my FiL. Ablation didn’t work and he has a biventricular pacemaker. Do you have one of those or just a regular one? The biventricular one really improved his quality of life and along with a cardiomems device that measures the degree of CHF he has daily and allows diuretics to dosed accurately, he has stayed out of the hospital, driving again, can walk around the block slowly etc. It has made a dramatic difference having the biventricular pacemaker.

I’ve been in afib since 2014. I don’t have a pacemaker and my cardiologist just said I would live my life in afib after the cardio version didn’t work. I feel fatigued a lot, but is it due to afib, hemolytic anemia, severely leaking mitral valve or all of the above? Sometimes my hr goes to 110 while I’m just doing nothing but that’s rare. Mostly my hr is around the 80’s. It’s just irregular. I was listening to a concert and during the soft sections my irregular heart beat was very noticeable to me. Mech valve and irregular, fun times.

My pacemaker is ICD (IIRC) -- in addition to just pacing, it's sitting with the ability to defibrillate if I ever wind up needing it.

My cardiologist talked about Right Lead and Left lead, so I suspect that it IS biventricular.

My aortic fibrillation hasn't triggered this. I'm hoping that it never does.

I don't have a cardiomems device (and I'm not even sure what a cariomems device is). I'm try to do the best I can with what I still have.

It's 90 degrees outside - but I have to go to the store...fun.

Oh....and...
I developed two inguinal hernias (fun) from coughing too hard - possibly related to lung issues secondary to broken ribs.

I saw a surgeon who specializes in this, and other, surgeries. I told him that my ejection fraction was below 30, and he told me that putting me under a general anesthetic was too risky (I kind of thought this would be the case).

When I visited my cardiologist, he told me that my EF the last time they tested it, was 35%. WTF? I'm sure that this wasn't what he told me back then.

He told me that he would clear me for surgery.

Now I have to think about whether I really want this fixed or not, and whether it's worth whatever risk comes with it.

Before my heart surgeries, I had an inguinal hernia repaired. The general surgeon gave me some kind of nerve block and then Valium to relax me in the operating room. It was all done without me going under, unlike the second one I had at Kaiser, where they totally put me under. I liked the first procedure better. But, I’m a woman so not sure if it’s comparable to a man’s anatomy.

Latest posts

Back