Q for 16 days post-op, is this realistic?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabitha

Just looking for some been there/done that :D

I bought my husband tickets to the theatre for Christmas (long before we knew that I was going in for surgery!). The show is 16 days post AVR. Is is reasonable or realistic that it's a possibility that I could go to the show with him? It would be a few hours out of the house. There'd only be a few stairs since it's a small theatre, the show is only 90 minutes with a 15 minute intermission. All I'd be doing is sitting during that time, right? (Luckily I bought aisle seats!)

Am I being silly or do you think I could go?

If your doing well with recovery, by all means go to the show.
It would be a good for both of you.

If all is well, don't worry about the few stairs, slow and steady is the way to tackle them.

Have Fun.

Last edited:
Just looking for some been there/done that :D

I bought my husband tickets to the theatre for Christmas (long before we knew that I was going in for surgery!). The show is 16 days post AVR. Is is reasonable or realistic that it's a possibility that I could go to the show with him? It would be a few hours out of the house. There'd only be a few stairs since it's a small theatre, the show is only 90 minutes with a 15 minute intermission. All I'd be doing is sitting during that time, right? (Luckily I bought aisle seats!)

Am I being silly or do you think I could go?

I think it is vry possible to go and enjoy yourself, i'm guessing it is relavtively close and not a long car ride too? I would plan on going with him, but maybe having a back up person who would go if that day you dont feel up to it. Of course everyone is different but Justin has gone to a few things like that shortly after some of his surgeries, movies, even a professional football game that mainly involved sitting once we got to his seat and he was fine with it and enjoyed himself.. I would probably get to the theater shortly before the show started, so you dont have to get in when there is a better chance of a crowd, bumping into you, so most people are already seated and you can just walk to your seat. If parking isnt close, I might have his drop you off closer to the theater.

If you kick butt after surgery there should be no issue. Even if you are recovering a little slower, once you are home, you should be able to go out and enjoy yourself.

For me, this would have been perfectly reasonable with one exception: time of day. I was doing very well by Day 16, probably better than average, but by no means off the charts, but one struggle that persisted for me at that time was sleep issues. I was still getting well below my normal sleep at night and by midday to early afternoon (after a lot of morning exercise) was "crashing" - just had to nap, even though I limited so I wouldn't get dependent on it. Anyway, I felt great in the mornings and great in the late afternoon and early evening, but pretty sure I would not have felt up to a show either middle of the day, or late at night.

That said, having a backup just in case sounds good, but setting this a goal to attend would be equally beneficial. If possible, maybe sneak out a few minutes prior to intermission so you can get some good walking in, much better than staying in your seat the whole time.

Here comes a wet blanket.....;)......at 16 days postop I was just leaving the hospital. Napping twice a day, unable to tolerate
any noise at all, and still adjusting to my new regime of meds.
Tabitha, you are younger and sound like you are stronger, but it may be a good idea to choose a back up "date" for your hubby so
that he can still attend the theatre event in case you are too tired.

I'm pretty sure I would be sleeping through the most of the show. Something else to consider is large crowds of people and all of the germs that go with them.

For me, at (16) days post surgery I was still on pain meds, so I'm not too sure how much I would have remembered a show, but many are well past them by then. On the other hand, I would have loved to get out to a show about that time as doing 'normal' things had already become a desire for me. In my case, if I had the tickets and my wife didn't mind, we'd probably give it a try with the thought that if we had to leave early, so be it. Just getting out and enjoying part of the experience would have been great for my spirits about then.

I would vote for you and hubby to give the show a try. Evaluate how you feel that day but be honest with yourself. Once you are home after the surgery make sure you walk and eat healthy in order to get your stamina back up. But again, I stress that you need to decide how you are feeling 48, 24 and hours before you are set to go. Best Wishes. And I hope you are able to enjoy a little time out of the house.

NOPE CAN'T BE DONE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT :tongue2:.....just kidding ............I'll go :biggrin2: but he must buy me diner at Al's Steak House while I prefer Elgin Street :cool2: Richmond will do fine

Go, enjoy the evening, and if you have to, don't be shy to ask to be taken home.

You are now fixed and there will be many shows to see !!!!!!

Last edited:
I think you'll have to play it by ear, since everybody's recovery is a bit different. I went to a house party at one of our family friends around day 16, and lasted a few hours. I made sure that I went and sat down when I felt tired, but I think some people were shocked at how long I lasted that day. Just have a plan B in case you are having one of the less-than-great days on the day of the show and are not quite up to the trip.

Last edited:
At 16 days, I wouldn't have been able to do it. At about 30 days we had tickets to the theater, and that went well. At that point, we did the theater (matinee) and then dinner. It was a great feeling to be able to be out and about again.

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate the honesty. I was going to have a back-up just in case and I already have either childcare for the kids or babysitting for all three of us if hubby goes off by himself. Now it's just a matter of finding a back-up date! I'm hoping to do it, but I will re-evaluate closer to the date.

Oh and Greg, we were certainly going to go for dinner (It was supposed to be our first big date since our second child was born) but I think because of this unexpected surgery we'll just do the show...he can take me to dinner at a nice expensive restaurant some other time! :D

Greg, we were certainly going to go for dinner (It was supposed to be our first big date since our second child was born) but I think because of this unexpected surgery we'll just do the show...he can take me to dinner at a nice expensive restaurant some other time! :D

Oh heck yes!!!! There can never be too many nights out (without our kids). Good Luck Tabitha

Good to have a back up plan.

I don't want to be a party pooper here as well but I was still in the hospital at day 16.
6 weeks out would have been more realistic for me to enjoy an evening out with my husband.

Just don't forget to take your Heart Pillow!!!! I used mine at least a month under the seat belt/shoulder strap. Plus you never know when you will cough or sneeze, and it's a good way to say "WATCH OUT" to other people and their elbows.

What is this heart pillow I keep hearing about? Is it given at the hospital? Or how can I get my hands on one? Someone I can't see OHIP handing them out freely! :)

While mine was not this NEAT it was FREE and stocked in the ICCU here at St Marys

Shumky+Pillow.png

Mine was a simple 8 inch square pillow RED done by a volunteer group that is held tight to the sternum when coughing, sneezing or LAUGHING to minimize movement

Back