NT-proBNP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag004

Just received my result for my NT-proBNP blood test. I am 48 years of age.

The day at the E.R. 05/08/2024, it was 1336.

Around twelve weeks later after my AVR, it is currently 66.

I know that it is just a marker for further findings, but I am still glad it came down. Just wanted to share this with you because when I tell my friends and family they look at me like I am speaking martian.

I know that it is just a marker for further findings, but I am still glad it came down. Just wanted to share this with you because when I tell my friends and family they look at me like I am speaking martian.
Thats great!! If I understand it correctly ; It is an indicator of stress on the left ventricle wall . Overly intense exercise can also stress the wall and raise the NT-proBNP numbers.

Reactions: V__
I learned about BNP from my FIL’s many hospitalizations last fall. It was over 20,000 😬 His heart was really struggling and he only has only kidney (after donating one to his wife 20 years ago) and I guess kidney function also affects BNP. He is doing a lot better now which we are grateful for.

I posted this in another thread yesterday but it belongs here.
I just got an NT-ProBNP result yesterday ; it was 147 . The level should be under 125;
Here is a link;
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/22629-b-type-natriuretic-peptide

I am 70 and I do work out a lot and had an all out bike ride two days before the test. That may have raised my number because it dose stress the heart.
Anyway, I don't like the number and luckily I have a cardio checkup next month.

Last edited:
Wow, after googling a big, it says one of the signs of high levels is peeing a lot at night. I pee A LOT at night. It effects the quality of my sleep. Crazy. My doctor has not ordered this test.

Last January I had pneumonia. They checked my NT-proBNP because of my mechanical aortic valve. Below is the test result information.

==============================================================

NT-proBNP​

Normal value: <300 pg/mL
Value

(NOTE)NT-proBNP values below 300 pg/mL have a 98% negative predictive valuefor excluding acute CHF. For adults 50 to 75 years of age with intactrenal function, NT-proBNP values greater than 900 pg/mL have apositive predictive value of 83% for the diagnosis of CHF. Forpatients with an eGFR below 60, a cutoff of 1,200 pg/mL yields adiagnostic sensitivity and specificity of 89% and 72% for acute CHF.
==============================================================

They considered admitting me to the hospital, but sent me home because i was able to care for myself. I recovered after a week of antibiotics. Dr told me there was no need to retest the NT-proBNP since I was feeling fine.

Note for people using the Emergency Room: The ER was very busy, I obviously had some respiratory problems, and I had just had a mechanical aortic valve installed 90 days earlier. So they took x-rays, did an EKG, etc, before I even saw the Dr. It was still a slow process, but they were trying to speed it up. I had no complaints since there were other patients who looked much worse than me.

This is a symptom, that's worth checking out if you haven't already
@SatoriFround
seconded ... one of my best friends died last year after a long struggle with prostate cancer. Things would have been different if he'd payed attention to the symptoms earlier.

Really ... you don't want to go through what he did. It makes what you've been through appear a nothing in comparison.

This is a symptom, that's worth checking out if you haven't already. Not heart related, but still very important.
That is exactly what I was saying. I read it in an article right before I wrote the post. I had NO clue that frequent peeing at night could be a symptom of anything other than prostate cancer (I wasn't worried about that as I JUST did the prostate cancer test).

That is exactly what I was saying. I read it in an article right before I wrote the post.
I guess it wasn't obvious to me from your post that this is being checked out, therefore my comment.

I had NO clue that frequent peeing at night could be a symptom of anything other than prostate cancer (I wasn't worried about that as I JUST did the prostate cancer test).
AFAIK it can be a symptom of bladder cancer, diabetes, and maybe other diseases. These are very different conditions, and it's kind of unreasonable to self-diagnose based on a single symptom. A family physician should be able to figure this out, or at least to check out the most likely possibilities.

I guess it wasn't obvious to me from your post that this is being checked out, therefore my comment.

AFAIK it can be a symptom of bladder cancer, diabetes, and maybe other diseases. These are very different conditions, and it's kind of unreasonable to self-diagnose based on a single symptom. A family physician should be able to figure this out, or at least to check out the most likely possibilities.
I see. Usually the simplest answer is the right one. Since I actually have heart issues, and those can cause high bnp levels it seems likely that is the case. I just had my yearly physical and all my blood work looked good. My BP and cholesterol meds worked and both are now normal. No diabetes markers (other than frequent urination, LOL). Just the heart problem. The doctor was concerned with my weight. I was about 10 pounds overweight according to BMI. I am 6'4" and was 219 pounds, but I cleaned up my eating and lost 10 pounds since then so BMI is now the high range of healthy. Not that I buy into BMI, it is such a generic measurement to throw at all people.

I see. Usually the simplest answer is the right one. Since I actually have heart issues, and those can cause high bnp levels it seems likely that is the case.
I don't think we are on the same page. So I'll repeat them main point one more time. I'm NOT talking about the BNP level. I AM talking about the frequent night urination, as a symptom of "something", which is likely not heart related. But could well be important. At least THIS PAGE indicates many conditions with this symptom. I'd be at a loss which one is even simplest. And, given the importance of the outcome, I'd chase this (with doctors) to get a reasonable understanding of the cause. However, of course, "you do you" :)

I don't think we are on the same page. So I'll repeat them main point one more time. I'm NOT talking about the BNP level. I AM talking about the frequent night urination, as a symptom of "something", which is likely not heart related. But could well be important. At least THIS PAGE indicates many conditions with this symptom. I'd be at a loss which one is even simplest. And, given the importance of the outcome, I'd chase this (with doctors) to get a reasonable understanding of the cause. However, of course, "you do you" :)
Oooh, OK. I have told my doctor I pee a lot a night. They have never said anything. I do drink a lot of water, but have been trying not to do this later in the day lately due to the waking up at night. I did just go to that page, and the doctors have had me on diuretics for my blood pressure for years... I am still on one. The list of conditions includes heart disease, high blood pressure, and obstructive sleep apnea, which I also have in a trifecta. My blood pressure isn't actually high right now due to the medications, so I don't know if I am considered hypertensive or not. Anyway, it does look like any number of things can cause it. I had my yearly physical two months ago. Blood work was good, the colon test was good, no diabetes. In going over my old visit where I complained of fatigue and frequent nighttime urination they ran a full work up and checked me for numerous conditions. After that I was referred to the cardiologist.

I have told my doctor I pee a lot a night. {skipped} the doctors have had me on diuretics for my blood pressure for years... I am still on one. The list of conditions includes heart disease, high blood pressure, and obstructive sleep apnea, which I also have in a trifecta.
Ah, it was checked out... and you have reasons for the condition. That makes sense then! (As opposed to worrying new symptom.)

@SatoriFround
seconded ... one of my best friends died last year after a long struggle with prostate cancer. Things would have been different if he'd payed attention to the symptoms earlier.

Really ... you don't want to go through what he did. It makes what you've been through appear a nothing in comparison.
Wouldn't my blood work have shown some indication? All the blood counts were good with no concerns and I had no inflammatory markers....

There’re 2 BNP scales/units (BNP and NT-proBNP) depending on the country (eg Canada and US) even though the test is the same. So please make sure you’re comparing yours to the right one.

Normal range for one is <100-125 pg/mL and the other around <300 pg/mL or something like that, but please check your particular type of test/unit to compare Apple to Apple.

66 is very good! Mine is 500 . Was 1200 at one time

Latest posts

Back