Newbee

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Denise

I'm so glad I found this site! My husband Eddie is scheduled for his valve replacement on January 3, 2002. Right now we are in the decision making process of choosing which valve - cadaver vs. mechanical... We are very undecided. Eddie is only 49yo and does not really want to be on a blood thinner for the rest of his life. Are leaning towards human tissue at the moment, but who knows what by tomorrow? I will be returning here many times, I am sure of that though! Looking forward to sharing with the other spouses....

Hi Denise,

Welcome to the site. So glad you posted. Please, ask as many questions as you have... don't hesitate, no matter what they may be. Time is short before surgery, and with the holidays, many of us will not be on the site as often.

I would recommend doing a search on the site for heart valves.. and type.. or choice. There have been so many discussions on what to choose.

Bottom line... It is all a matter of personal preference, give and take..based on personal needs.

I had my valve replaced at 49, no choice in selection to the emergency nature of my situation. I now have a St Judes mechanical valve, and yes I take Blood Thinners.. and.. I live my life as active as I did prior to surgery. It is managable, and being aware of how best to manage it,( which by the way, is well talked about here), will make life almost the same as prior to surgery. I know that my valve should last me the rest of my life. If I selected a tissue valve, I may be facing another surgery when I am 65 or so. Well, who knows what my health will be like at that age. Maybe, due to other medical issues, I may not be able to have another surgery at that age. Well, this is just my point of view, as I mentioned before, it is all personal preference. I also feel that blood thinners get a real bad rap.. yes there are dangers.. but it is not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. In fact, they are working on a new type of blood thinner that may take many of the risk factors away. It is called Exanta, and it has a way to go with the clinical trials before it is recommended for valve replacement patients.. but.. with the advancements in this area... Maybe... I wont have to be on Coumadin for the rest of my life.

Everyone here in their own way can justify their choices... Listen to them.. evaluate your life style.. and when you make a choice.. be positive and final with your selection.

Happy Holidays,

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Denise-

Hi Denise-

Welcome to the site Denise-

My husband is the patient also. He had his aortic valve replaced when he was 46. He didn't have much of a choice at the time, that was 24 years ago, they offered either a porcine valve which he was allergic to, or a mechanical. So he got the mechanical. They apologized, thinking the mechanical was inferior. Boy were they wrong. He still has that old enormous valve chugging along and has been on Coumadin for all these years. He doesn't even think about it any more, just takes the dose he needs, gets tested and that's that. Oh, he also has a mitral mechanical which is 2 years old, and just had a repair for a small leak, July 18 of this year.

You'll be so glad you found this site. There is so much info. here, just about every question you can think of has been answered somewhere on the site. Also we love to chime in with our opinions, so don't hesitate to ask away, anything you want.

We hope to see you often. The spouse goes through a major extended period of stress also, and you'll find lots of support here for that.

Thank you Rob and Nancy for the warm welcome to the site. Eddie and I will be here often before and after the surgery. I am glad that you posted about your mechanical Rob -- we first thought that way but could not find a doctor to give us his opinion of being on Coumadin forever. I work for urologists and all five of them say "don't do it" but cannot really tell us why not. Just life style changes I suppose.

As far as a human valve, who i to know that there may not be something better in 15-20 years. With the way medicine has progressed, they may be doing heart surgery w/o even opening the chest. Eddie has a 61yo brother who had a heart transplant 11 years ago and is doing great. Unfortunately he lost his 55yo brother on Dec 8th to a massive heart attack. His brother would not see a cardiologist for fear of what they would or would not find. So who is to know what his chances are of for more surgery down the road? Who knows what will be available then? I know we have to think about the present, but the decision is so hard to make. Our cardiologist did tell us to make a decision and stick with it. Don't second guess ourselves. Be happy with our choice and we will be -- when we are able to make it!

With his family history, Eddie goes every year faithfully and they found the leaky valves this year. Well, I will be checking in and out for more input. Thanks so much for what I have already received. Wishing you a very happy holiday season!

Hey Denise - boy did you find the right place! You can ask anything, say anything and you will have many answers for anything you need to know plus all the support we have. We will be talking with you before Jan 3 so keep on comin. I didn't have valve surg, had bypass, but I surely can support. Welcome. God bless:)

Hi Denise,

I'm 50, but had my valve replacement at 49. Choose a homograph, need only to take a baby aspirin a day. Decided I could not stand the coumadin and ticking would drive me crazy. As those before have told you, this is a very personal decision. Write down the pro's and con's of both this might help. Sending good thoughts to you and your husband and glad that you are with us. martha

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice welcome. I am thrilled to have found this site! I am so glad to have already heard from people who have had both types of valves done.

Hi Denise,

First welcome to the site!! I echo all of the above. I think I am glad we were'nt given options. Hank was 32 at the time of his surgery and the doc went mechanical because of its long term abilities. Now we realize that coumiden is not as big a deal as we feared. Hank still plays the same sports and eats dark green veggies. And as to the ticking, I hear it way more than he does. And I love the sound of it. Not only does it let me know he's alive and still with me, but it reminds me that it was all real. Hanks ordeal was such a life altering experience, I dont want to forget it! It reminds me to cherish life and the times we are together.

It helps me remember how greatful I am he's still here ( even when he's making me mad!! ;-) ) Don't tell him though, or he'll be impossible.

Anyway, whichever way you go, It'll be nice to be on the other side ;-) Keep us posted!! enjoy your holidays!! We'll be thinking about you and praying for you.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle!

I am very grateful for the information we are receiving here. Eddie is off until after the surgery and he plans to check this site out this week after Christmas is over. This site is an answer to our prayers. All we wanted was other to talk to who have also been thru this. Everyone has made me feel so welcome here.

Well, I am in the middle of baking cookies w/ a 12yo niece and off to look at lights around town.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Back