New to BAV! Advice? (Marijuana use?)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am 26 and due to a fluke I found out through an echo that I have BAV. I already had slight health anxiety so this definitely didnt help that but I am starting to cope with it better and just live life. The way my Cardiologist put it to me was live life and be aware you have it and follow through with yearly check ups to catch anything ahead of time. Is this the right advice? I try to watch what I eat and usually eat pretty decent, I don't drink any alcohol or smoke cigarettes. My only "vice" is that I (well used to be up until a couple months ago) a daily marijuana smoker. There is a lot online about cigs and BAV being an issue (im assuming it is mainly the chemicals etc) but not much research about marijuana. Im curious about what have you heard/been told about smoking marijuana with BAV. I had been smoking weed daily for like 8 years and my echo came up no stenosis or regurg. My Cardiologist recommended i stick with edibles if I want to use marijuana but that is usually more pricey and tends to a different/all day high. So do any of smoke marijuana with BAV, and what has your experience been? I also would love any general BAV advice/research that you guys have done. Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to the Forum! Great question.

From what I educate patients on and from my research, I would echo (no pun intended :)) what your cardiologist says. In general, smoking (cigarettes or marijuana) is not great for heart and lung health. This is especially important if you have any predisposition to cardiac disease (like a bicuspid aortic valve) as it can potentially accelerate your timeline for intervention as well as make any interventions performed not as effective/long lasting.

I am personally not a marijuana smoker or edible taker, however my doctor did mention that there is little risk in partaking in edibles as long as it is tolerated with no adverse reactions to your own body. If I was in your situation and had to pick one, I would no brainer choose and edible or at the very least rarely smoke if I felt that was needed. It all comes down to risk vs reward and as long as you know the risks, you can decide how you want to proceed :).

A good source to read from the American Lung Association: https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/marijuana-and-lung-health

"Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as tobacco smoke. Although not as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains toxins and carcinogens similar to those in tobacco smoke."

Hi! Welcome to the Forum! Great question.

From what I educate patients on and from my research, I would echo (no pun intended :)) what your cardiologist says. In general, smoking (cigarettes or marijuana) is not great for heart and lung health. This is especially important if you have any predisposition to cardiac disease (like a bicuspid aortic valve) as it can potentially accelerate your timeline for intervention as well as make any interventions performed not as effective/long lasting.

I am personally not a marijuana smoker or edible taker, however my doctor did mention that there is little risk in partaking in edibles as long as it is tolerated with no adverse reactions to your own body. If I was in your situation and had to pick one, I would no brainer choose and edible or at the very least rarely smoke if I felt that was needed. It all comes down to risk vs reward and as long as you know the risks, you can decide how you want to proceed :).

A good source to read from the American Lung Association: https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/smoking-facts/health-effects/marijuana-and-lung-health

"Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as tobacco smoke. Although not as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains toxins and carcinogens similar to those in tobacco smoke."
Thank you for your input. Yeah I wasn't sure if my cardiologist was more on the lines of "dont smoke anything, ever" which is what any doctor would say even to an entirely healthy person, right. I wasn't sure how the risks differed for BAV specifically, because I was aware of smoking effects on lungs like most people. But uneducated on heart being effected. It just was a bit unfortunate because I am on the younger side and don't drink so smoking was kind of my relaxation after work, schooling etc. It does seem like marijuana would be the lesser evil to alcohol based on the things I have read.

Thank you for your input. Yeah I wasn't sure if my cardiologist was more on the lines of "dont smoke anything, ever" which is what any doctor would say even to an entirely healthy person, right. I wasn't sure how the risks differed for BAV specifically, because I was aware of smoking effects on lungs like most people. But uneducated on heart being effected. It just was a bit unfortunate because I am on the younger side and don't drink so smoking was kind of my relaxation after work, schooling etc. It does seem like marijuana would be the lesser evil to alcohol based on the things I have read.
Totally understand where you are coming from! As a 28M who just had a mechanical valve replacement-- I understand the younger side and modifying what people refer to as "vices."

Here's the other thing I wanted to note.. We have so much information and technology available now to monitor and treat health issues. You mentioned that you have a known BAV but with no stenosis or regurgitation-- which I am assuming means you are largely asymptomatic and are just having routine echocardiograms to monitor for changes.

To ease your health anxiety you noted- it could be decades before this valve is an issue (or it could really never be an issue in your life- who knows). What I do know is, the purpose of routine monitoring or even an intervention when the time comes is to improve quality of life. If for you, smoking is a quality of life improvement or something that you enjoy- who is anyone to say "don't do that." That's where I was getting at with my risk vs. reward point above. Sure it's a risk, but everything is a risk in relativity. You could keep smoking marijuana recreationally (if edibles are not you preferred method), have the BAV routinely monitored and if things change, maybe consider a change at that point.

I would absolutely recommend not smoking (cigarettes or marijuana) postoperatively or around the time of surgery just from a healing and cardiopulmonary recovery standpoint. But... you're young, findings are inconsequential as they currently stand... so live life and do what brings you joy at this current moment. Try not to get bogged down in the what "could be" until it's closer to that time-- if all that makes sense.

Edit: I will also add... Have you had any imaging done (CT scan w/ contrast) to see if you have any aortic enlargement? I will say that smoking does drastically increase the risk of aortic dissection if you do have an aortic aneurysm that they are monitoring (aortic aneurysms are more likely in patients with BAV).

Totally understand where you are coming from! As a 28M who just had a mechanical valve replacement-- I understand the younger side and modifying what people refer to as "vices."

Here's the other thing I wanted to note.. We have so much information and technology available now to monitor and treat health issues. You mentioned that you have a known BAV but with no stenosis or regurgitation-- which I am assuming means you are largely asymptomatic and are just having routine echocardiograms to monitor for changes.

To ease your health anxiety you noted- it could be decades before this valve is an issue (or it could really never be an issue in your life- who knows). What I do know is, the purpose of routine monitoring or even an intervention when the time comes is to improve quality of life. If for you, smoking is a quality of life improvement or something that you enjoy- who is anyone to say "don't do that." That's where I was getting at with my risk vs. reward point above. Sure it's a risk, but everything is a risk in relativity. You could keep smoking marijuana recreationally (if edibles are not you preferred method), have the BAV routinely monitored and if things change, maybe consider a change at that point.

I would absolutely recommend not smoking (cigarettes or marijuana) postoperatively or around the time of surgery just from a healing and cardiopulmonary recovery standpoint. But... you're young, findings are inconsequential as they currently stand... so live life and do what brings you joy at this current moment. Try not to get bogged down in the what "could be" until it's closer to that time-- if all that makes sense.

Edit: I will also add... Have you had any imaging done (CT scan w/ contrast) to see if you have any aortic enlargement? I will say that smoking does drastically increase the risk of aortic dissection if you do have an aortic aneurysm that they are monitoring (aortic aneurysms are more likely in patients with BAV).
Damn that was super well said and makes a lot of comforting sense. I guess you are totally right about continuing if I want and as soon as there are adverse effects that would really drive home the stopping smoking for me (trust me my anxiety wont let me do that to myself). Especially if surgery is upcoming or even done there is no way I would look at anything but water LOL, I just couldn't handle being high with all that going on. Fortunately I am someone that doesnt have too addictive of a personality. When I got informed of BAV i stopped smoking weed and consuming caffeine cold turkey and I used to drink so much coffee and smoke daily. I just have been using edibles for months now but miss smoking to relax.

They took measurements with the echo - my aortic root was normal at 3.2 cm in diameter. My ascending aorta is dilated at 3.6 cm in diameter. All they touched on with that is "lots of room to grow" and left it at that. What they really drove home was that I had no stenosis or regurgitation which was huge and my aorta was not large enough to consider worrying about. They were kind of brief, I was kind of freaked out and they were like its normal dont worry until you need to type deal. So any insight is 100% appreciated.

Damn that was super well said and makes a lot of comforting sense. I guess you are totally right about continuing if I want and as soon as there are adverse effects that would really drive home the stopping smoking for me (trust me my anxiety wont let me do that to myself). Especially if surgery is upcoming or even done there is no way I would look at anything but water LOL, I just couldn't handle being high with all that going on. Fortunately I am someone that doesnt have too addictive of a personality. When I got informed of BAV i stopped smoking weed and consuming caffeine cold turkey and I used to drink so much coffee and smoke daily. I just have been using edibles for months now but miss smoking to relax.

They took measurements with the echo - my aortic root was normal at 3.2 cm in diameter. My ascending aorta is dilated at 3.6 cm in diameter. All they touched on with that is "lots of room to grow" and left it at that. What they really drove home was that I had no stenosis or regurgitation which was huge and my aorta was not large enough to consider worrying about. They were kind of brief, I was kind of freaked out and they were like its normal dont worry until you need to type deal. So any insight is 100% appreciated.

That’s great news! I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3.6 ascending aorta right now either. Depending on your cardiologist they may want you to look more frequently when it’s above 4.0 and depending on your surgeon, the threshold for surgery (where the risk of surgery is less than the risk of rupture) is 4.5-5cm. My surgeon used a more recent study that says those with BAV would benefit from aneurysm repair at 4.5. I personally was 5.1cm when I had my procedure.

Point being, continue to monitor occasionally per your cardiologist but you’re in great shape currently. I wouldn’t worry that much about it currently- if anything be less worried now that you had some information, research and a medical team to support you :).

That’s great news! I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3.6 ascending aorta right now either. Depending on your cardiologist they may want you to look more frequently when it’s above 4.0 and depending on your surgeon, the threshold for surgery (where the risk of surgery is less than the risk of rupture) is 4.5-5cm. My surgeon used a more recent study that says those with BAV would benefit from aneurysm repair at 4.5. I personally was 5.1cm when I had my procedure.

Point being, continue to monitor occasionally per your cardiologist but you’re in great shape currently. I wouldn’t worry that much about it currently- if anything be less worried now that you had some information, research and a medical team to support you :).
In my head 4.5 and 3.6cm are close, but in terms of this I guess that is a lot of room for growth? It was never really explained to me.

Hi and welcome
I also would love any general BAV advice/research that you guys have done. Thanks!
not much because I don't smoke and gave up all that stuff by 3rd year Uni. However:
  • I don't see anything suggesting THC will effect your connective tissue issue (at its nub, BAV is a presentation of one aspect of a connective tissue disorder
  • smoking will increase lung damage and as a side effect paralise the cillia on the lung and trachea; leading to greater ingress into the alvioli. Its little talked about and instead most public domain glosses over this detail like a stratospheric jet ... so high you didn't even know it was there.
  • edibles are a good choice.
having said that one of my uni colleagues descended from a promising researcher (a post doc) in microbiology into a "fkked up crazy" living in his car with his dog as his use of THC over (tens of) years pushed him from perhaps not even diagnosable into full schizophrenia ... its sad.

HTH

In my head 4.5 and 3.6cm are close, but in terms of this I guess that is a lot of room for growth? It was never really explained to me.
In my understand it’s hard to put a ‘timetable’ on it. It can depend on many individualistic factors for growth.

To help slow the growth you can;
  • Manage blood pressure (my cardiologist said to keep it below 135-140 systolic )
  • Get adequate sleep
  • Stress management techniques
  • Avoid heavy (see; 1-3 rep max) lifting or holding your breath while lifting
  • Avoid excessive alcohol, smoking or caffeine (caffeine is debated)
  • Get routine checks as ordered by cardiologist.
I have no personal anecdotes for you, as mine was found at 5.1 so I have no baseline data to tell you how fast it grew. But also my understand is some size values in certain people can stay steady for years or decades.

That’s why you can’t worry about it. Live your life with knowledge and try to understand l all you can in the meantime so if/when the time comes to make a decision you are prepared and informed :). But most importantly, enjoy life now and always.

In my understand it’s hard to put a ‘timetable’ on it. It can depend on many individualistic factors for growth.

To help slow the growth you can;
  • Manage blood pressure (my cardiologist said to keep it below 135-140 systolic )
  • Get adequate sleep
  • Stress management techniques
  • Avoid heavy (see; 1-3 rep max) lifting or holding your breath while lifting
  • Avoid excessive alcohol, smoking or caffeine (caffeine is debated)
  • Get routine checks as ordered by cardiologist.
I have no personal anecdotes for you, as mine was found at 5.1 so I have no baseline data to tell you how fast it grew. But also my understand is some size values in certain people can stay steady for years or decades.

That’s why you can’t worry about it. Live your life with knowledge and try to understand l all you can in the meantime so if/when the time comes to make a decision you are prepared and informed :). But most importantly, enjoy life now and always.
Amazing, Thanks so much.

Hello, I am 26 and due to a fluke I found out through an echo that I have BAV. I already had slight health anxiety so this definitely didnt help that but I am starting to cope with it better and just live life. The way my Cardiologist put it to me was live life and be aware you have it and follow through with yearly check ups to catch anything ahead of time. Is this the right advice? I try to watch what I eat and usually eat pretty decent, I don't drink any alcohol or smoke cigarettes. My only "vice" is that I (well used to be up until a couple months ago) a daily marijuana smoker. There is a lot online about cigs and BAV being an issue (im assuming it is mainly the chemicals etc) but not much research about marijuana. Im curious about what have you heard/been told about smoking marijuana with BAV. I had been smoking weed daily for like 8 years and my echo came up no stenosis or regurg. My Cardiologist recommended i stick with edibles if I want to use marijuana but that is usually more pricey and tends to a different/all day high. So do any of smoke marijuana with BAV, and what has your experience been? I also would love any general BAV advice/research that you guys have done. Thanks!
What about using a vaporizer? Such as the Volcano? Thank way the burnt up smoke isn't going in your lungs, only the vapor. I heard many years ago that it was better to vaporize it than smoke it, WAY before Vape pens were on the market. LOL

Hi and welcome

not much because I don't smoke and gave up all that stuff by 3rd year Uni. However:
  • I don't see anything suggesting THC will effect your connective tissue issue (at its nub, BAV is a presentation of one aspect of a connective tissue disorder
  • smoking will increase lung damage and as a side effect paralise the cillia on the lung and trachea; leading to greater ingress into the alvioli. Its little talked about and instead most public domain glosses over this detail like a stratospheric jet ... so high you didn't even know it was there.
having said that one of my uni colleagues descended from a promising researcher (a post doc) in microbiology into a "fkked up crazy" living in his car with his dog as his use of THC over (tens of) years pushed him from perhaps not even diagnosable into full schizophrenia ... its sad.

HTH
Wow thanks for sharing, I will have to look into some of these theories. I have explored non combustion forms of smoking etc. What you said about your uni colleagues is something out of a book, thats a crazy story.

What about using a vaporizer? Such as the Volcano? Thank way the burnt up smoke isn't going in your lungs, only the vapor. I heard many years ago that it was better to vaporize it than smoke it, WAY before Vape pens were on the market. LOL
Those pens are everywhere now its insane how handy they are. I actually recently invested into an Airizer (same thing as a volcano) because I figured it would be more beneficial but never looked into it too much. I also failed at using it so maybe I have to play around with it more. I think the combustion process is what concerns most people, so maybe you are right here.

Hi and welcome

HTH
I have found there are some people who handle marijuana, even on a daily basis fine, but there are those, usually those with underlying predisposition to mental health issues, who should never smoke it. My wife's ex husband being one of those people. LOL I've known people who have smoked for decades and had very productive, happy lives, my wife's ex was definitely not of that group. Unfortunately those who shouldn't be using it tend to be the last people to admit it. They think it helps with some problem, but don't see the other problems it is causing to pop up. They don't have that outside view of the progression of who they once were to who they are now. It is sad. :(

but there are those, usually those with underlying predisposition to mental health issues, who should never smoke it
agreed ... and usually those people don't self regulate and it destroys them and creates a lot of collateral damage.

People are very bad at self diagnosis (denial of problems, delusions).
1723673216857.png

I smoked from time to time before my first surgery, then got a blood infection and had to redo the surgery. I was smoking after my first surgery and if I had to do it again I would never inhale marijuana. In fact, there is no indication of where the blood infection came from. There are many chemicals in vape cartridges, and you never know exactly what you're inhaling even with marijuana. I would recommend gummies as well and keep your heart in the best shape possible should you require surgery. Exercise, stay fit and stick to edibles!

Here is a link to one article (I have not heard of the resource before so I don't know how reliable it is). In it, it states that smoking makes one more susceptible to infection, and that could lead to endocarditis, which could in turn hurt the valve. I'm sure there are other things that could harm the valve from smoking, but not sure what they are.

I will say, I had my valve replaced several years ago with a mechanical valve. I never smoked cigarettes or marijuana, but I do have the vice of smoking a cigar in the evenings during the summer (although sometimes I will skip it). I'm certain it is not good for my heart, but I also don't smoke all the time, and when the weather starts to change and we turn to winter, I stop until next summer. I'm sure it would be better to quit altogether, but it is the one vice I do allow myself and I am okay with that for now.

Latest posts

Back