Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flattop1009

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've been a long time lurker here. A little about my history I'm now 36 but back when I was 23 had a stroke due to calcium buildup on my bicuspid aortic valve. At the time the surgeon cardiologist and neurologist all agreed that a tissue valve would be best in my situation having just a had stroke a few days prior, well as we know it doesn't last. So here I am at 36 and going under for my second OHS and getting the bental procedure done as well as getting a new st jude mechanical valve. I finally got the courage to post here and my date for the surgery is August 27th. I think the waiting is going to be worse then the recovery.

Welcome to the forum!

At the time the surgeon cardiologist and neurologist all agreed that a tissue valve would be best in my situation having just a had stroke a few days prior,
I'd be curious to know more about their reasoning, if you care to share. You indicated that your stroke was due to calcium build up on your BAV, but the surgery would remove the calcified valve. So, if the source of the stroke is to be surgically removed, I wonder why the fear of a mechanical valve for your first surgery? Also, many stroke victims are put on anticoagulation anyway, as a precaution, and warfarin mitigates the risk of strokes.

my date for the surgery is August 27th. I think the waiting is going to be worse then the recovery.
I know what you mean. When it was time for me, I was pretty eager to get it done with.

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming procedure.

Hi and welcome

At the time the surgeon cardiologist and neurologist all agreed that a tissue valve would be best in my situation having just a had stroke a few days prior, well as we know it doesn't last.

so they set you up for a fall ... to me that verges on malpractice. However gradually I come to see that some people are so utterly incompetent at following ACT practices that perhaps its better.

https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...-compliance-with-an-on-x-aortic-valve.888128/

I think the waiting is going to be worse then the recovery.
probably ... I just usually put it out of my mind and keep doing things. I was doing this for instance in the lead up to mine.

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/07/solar-floor-heating-part-2.html

my wife told me now and then that if I had an aortic dissection she'd flog me so as to embarass my father (Finnish saying). I did know my limits and I expect she was more worried about it than me.

Reach out if you have problems with clinics mismanaging your INR. I believe however that you'll do well.

Some general reading on my blog about life on ACT
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/INR

sadly that's all in reverse order of posting (newest first) and its probably better to read the other direction.

Best Wishes

Back