Moderate valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bzbri

Hello!
I am new to this forum. I am 35 and have a moderate aortic regurgitation and a mild/moderate mitral. My tricuspid leaks too, but that is due to the ICD lead that goes through there.

What I am wondering is if anyone has had surgery on a moderate valve? Any info would be helpful.

Thank you!
Britt

My husband Joe just had a redo on his mitral which was in the moderate range. He had a small leak which was repaired. He was very symptomatic with CHF from the leak however, and that's why the surgery was done. Tricuspid was also leaking mildly, but didn't require any work. He also has an aortic valve replacement and a pacemaker.

Hi Britt

Sounds like you are at the half way point......I would not worry about it unless #1 your cardiologist tells you so, #2 your symptomatic #3 your heart chambers are enlarging.

There are no guarantees, but who knows you may stabilize and forego surgery.

Repeat your echo's as directed. Usually annually.

Hi Britt,

Welcome to VR.com, so glad you found us. Sorry I can't answer your questions. I had an aortic stinosis, was born with a tricuspid. Had surgery to replace the aortic valve on 12-15-00.

I'm sure that more will come along that can answer you question before long. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

martha

My understanding is that the basic philosophy is that as long as you are not having symptoms (shortness of breath, chest pain, severe lack of energy), it is better to wait until they develop. By all means, have regular checkups (echogram or TransEsophagael Echogram) and go for immediate evaluation if your symptoms worsen.

'AL'

Thanks to all of you for your answers. Three years ago I had a ventricular tach episode which prompted them to put in an ICD. It is agreed that the malfunction of the aortic valve can cause arrythmias in the left ventricle. For the last two years or more I have suffered symptoms of dizziness, presyncope, chest pain, clamminess or sweats, night and day, shortness of breath with regular activity, etc. This has led to my quitting my job and, at times, not being able to take care of my children. This has also stumpped the drs. At this point I am waiting to hear back from a surgeon regarding whether or not he will do the surgery. I feel very confident in him. I just don't think I am the only person around who is very symptomatic with moderate valves. Though, one never knows! ;) Thank you for listening.

You just keep us posed of when you find out what the doctor wants to do. And You also see hoe you feel about his decision. You are the only one to make the final decision. You must feel comfortable with the doctor and what he plans in your cardiac care. You must feel confident in his/her plan of care. You hang in there and do what you feel comfortable in your caridac care. You seem to grasp the major problems of your condition and you will do fine. You are welcome to come anytime. Later

Britt

Britt

Britt
Welcome to VR. Good luck with your search for answers.

I just had surgery 7/12/01. But I was the opposite of you. Very bad valve, not many symptoms. I had some sinus tach a few years back, but my only complaint was fatigue. The cardio sw the chages on the echos and said it was time. The surgeon said, after the operation, that my aortic valve was so stenotic that the opening for bllod flow was the size of a pencile and he was surprised my only symptom was fatigue.

Listen to the docs. But, get a second opinion if you want.

Good Luck-
-Mara

Hi,

I just had AVR last month. I had a bicuspid with more than moderate leakage. Turned out it was about to go, doc said that I wouldn't have lasted much longer with my original valve in there. But the main thing is that you feel comfortable with the info you are getting and trust the surgeon. If so everything will work out. I look forward to what they tell you.

BOOMER ~j~ ~j~ ~j~

Welcome!

Welcome!

Hi Britt,

Welcome to the group. I am very interested to see what your doctors decide. I am in almost the exact same situation. I have had moderate AI, moderate MS and MR that has gone from trace, to mild to moderate over the last three echos. Over the last year the symptoms have gotten a little worse, but I still work full time and travel a lot for my job. I think as things are changing more frequent echos are required. I am going to try to put off surgery as long as possible.........hope things go well for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck,
fdeg

Since I have had 2 AVR surgeries ,I am on Cozaar,
an ace inhibitor type drug, to prolong the life of my moderately leaking mitral.
The docs are hopeful that it stays moderate with this med, and maybe no more heart surgeries for me!
Gail

I did not have severe stenosis when my aortic valve was replaced. However, I had more of a problem with regurgitation and enlargement of my left ventricle. Thus, to avoid having permanent damage to my left ventricle, despite less symptoms, I went ahead with the AVR surgery. I don't think the only scenario dictating surgery is the level of symptoms. Talk to your cardiologist about your specific findings and their relationship to surgery.

When to do Surgery - With or without symptoms?

When to do Surgery - With or without symptoms?

There is a definite split amongst heart doctors regarding when to do surgery. I am sending copies of 2 different articles addressing the issue of "When to do surgery" -and - "should the patient by symptomatic first"? You can see the varying opinions just from reading these reports.....

The second article is from Medscape. They can provide you with copies of many, many reports, regarding aortic valve replacement are are located at http://www.medscape.com

Deb
-------------------------------------------------

The New England Journal of Medicine is owned, published, and copyrighted © 2001

Massachusetts Medical Society
Volume 343:611-617
August 31, 2000
Number 9

Predictors of Outcome in Severe, Asymptomatic Aortic Stenosis

Raphael Rosenhek, M.D., Thomas Binder, M.D., Gerold Porenta, M.D., Irene Lang, M.D., Günther Christ, M.D., Michael Schemper, Ph.D., Gerald Maurer, M.D., and Helmut Baumgartner, M.D.

ABSTRACT

Background Whether to perform valve replacement in patients with asymptomatic but severe aortic stenosis is controversial. Therefore, we studied the natural history of this condition to identify predictors of outcome.

Methods During 1994, we identified 128 consecutive patients with asymptomatic, severe aortic stenosis (59 women and 69 men; mean [±SD] age, 60±18 years; aortic-jet velocity, 5.0±0.6 m per second). The patients were prospectively followed until 1998.

Results Follow-up information was available for 126 patients (98 percent) for a mean of 22±18 months. Event-free survival, with the end point defined as death (8 patients) or valve replacement necessitated by the development of symptoms (59 patients), was 67±5 percent at one year, 56±5 percent at two years, and 33±5 percent at four years.

Five of the six deaths from cardiac disease were preceded by symptoms. According to multivariate analysis, only the extent of aortic-valve calcification was an independent predictor of outcome, whereas age, sex, and the presence or absence of coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes, and hypercholesterolemia were not.
Event-free survival for patients with no or mild valvular calcification was 92±5 percent at one year, 84±8 percent at two years, and 75±9 percent at four years, as compared with 60±6 percent,
47±6 percent, and 20±5 percent, respectively, for those with moderate or severe calcification. The rate of progression of stenosis, as reflected by the aortic-jet velocity, was significantly higher in patients who had cardiac events (0.45±0.38 m per second per year) than those who did not have cardiac events (0.14±0.18 m per second per year,
P<0.001), and the rate of progression of stenosis provided useful prognostic information. Of the patients with moderately or severely calcified aortic valves whose aortic-jet velocity increased by 0.3 m per second or more within one year, 79 percent underwent surgery or died within two years of the observed increase.

Conclusions

In asymptomatic patients with aortic stenosis, it appears to be relatively safe to delay surgery until symptoms develop. However, outcomes vary widely. The presence of moderate or severe valvular calcification, together with a rapid increase in aortic-jet velocity, identifies patients with a very poor prognosis. These patients should be considered for early valve replacement rather than have surgery delayed until symptoms develop.

--------------------------------------------------
From
Medscape Cardiology

Leading Opinion
Consideration on Surgical Intervention in Patients
With Asymptomatic Aortic Valve Stenosis

J. Willis Hurst, MD

[Medscape Cardiology, 2000. © 2000 Medscape, Inc.

There are 2 schools of thought about treatment for aortic valve stenosis in patients with
asymptomatic aortic valve stenosis. The members of one school favor medical management
and observation for such patients, even if the aortic-left ventricular systolic pressure gradient
is as large as it is in patients who have symptoms of heart failure, syncope, or angina. The
members of the other school of thought recommend aortic valve surgery in asymptomatic
patients when objective information indicates that the stenosis is severe.

I belong to the school of thought that recommends surgical replacement of the valve in
asymptomatic patients with aortic valve stenosis when all of the clinical data indicate that
stenosis is severe and the aortic-left ventricular gradient is as high as it is in symptomatic
patients. I have 2 reasons for this view. First of all, many people may have no symptoms
precisely because they restrict their activities. Secondly, left ventricular hypertrophy is a
serious matter in its own right; therefore, any stimulus to left ventricular hypertrophy should
be removed when it is possible to do so.

A new study in the August 31, 2000 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine
supports my view. In the article, Rosenhek and colleagues conclude that asymptomatic
patients with aortic valve stenosis who have moderate to severe calcification of the aortic
valve and a rapid increase in aortic-jet velocity by echocardiography should have aortic
valve surgery.

J. Willis Hurst, MD
Consultant of the Division of Cardiology
Emory University School of Medicine;
Former Professor and Chairman
Department of Medicine 1957-1986

Hi Britt,

I have had AVR surgery over a year ago, and I am always thinking about whether or not I needed the surgery when they did it? Anyway, My wife and I were watching Discovery Channel the other nite and it looked like me on the operating table getting a new Valve and Root replacement. Couldn't believe what I saw and it didn't look all that bad. The doctors sure know how to do their thing. The Operation really opened my eyes and it gave me a very good picture of what happened to me. I hope that you are able to see it, since the doctors explain what is happening in layman terms and also the importance of the "whole" heart working as one.

I had no physical symptoms with my aortic aneurysm however, 2 out of the three surgeons stated it is better to do it while the heart is in "good" condition rather than waiting for the heart to get worse. As most agree in the group, trust the doctor and go with it. Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well with you and that you make the decision that is best for you. I also hope you can catch the show on television. BEST!

Latest posts

Back