Lifting Weights after Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don07958

Hello all you lovely folks out there,

Just wondering, I had my aortic valve replaced (onX) Last september.

When is it ok to start lifting weights etc, in your experience?

Thanks in advance :)

When is it ok to start lifting weights etc, in your experience?
I got an On-X 23mm aortic valve last Sep 14th, 2023. I returned to serious weightlifting in January, 2024, which was 4 months after surgery.

I had been exercising seriously, including weightlifting, until 2 days before my surgery. I understand weightlifting, and I understand my own body. However, I was very weak by January, 2024 when I started weightlifting again. I had to be patient and careful as I increased my activity. I feel that I am now at 90% of my pre-surgery strength and endurance. Good luck!

hi don i am having a tough decision as to what valve to have both have negatives but i see prior to your operation you had the same issues can you please tell me now that you decided on the mechanical valve do you have any regrets and is there anything i should be aware of it i choose to have the mechanical valve thank you

hi don i am having a tough decision as to what valve to have both have negatives but i see prior to your operation you had the same issues can you please tell me now that you decided on the mechanical valve do you have any regrets and is there anything i should be aware of it i choose to have the mechanical valve thank you

Hello mate,

Had my surgery September 2023, prior to this had to make a tough decision ie which valve to go for tissue or mechanical.

Going through surgery is not easy first of all. Although with time gets better.
So something you want to avoid in future for sure ie not having to go through it again.

Some of the concerns I had going with mechanical were things like ticking, warfarin etc.
Positive was best chance to avoid any more surgery's in future, via mechanical.

I can honestly say, so happy went with mechanical valve (onX) warfarin is not to bad yes some diet changes etc but not a big deal.
So glad went with this valve as for ticking hardly hear it when i do not a big deal and no where near as loud as I thought it would be.

Lets put this way if I had to go through surgery again, i would go with mechanical valve again anyday, without any hesitation. Best choice I made!

I got an On-X 23mm aortic valve last Sep 14th, 2023. I returned to serious weightlifting in January, 2024, which was 4 months after surgery.

I had been exercising seriously, including weightlifting, until 2 days before my surgery. I understand weightlifting, and I understand my own body. However, I was very weak by January, 2024 when I started weightlifting again. I had to be patient and careful as I increased my activity. I feel that I am now at 90% of my pre-surgery strength and endurance. Good luck!

I received a 21mm on-X valve on 28 September 2023. Best choice I ever made!
My fitness levels before Surgery were none existent for a good few decades maybe even before I knew required Surgery.
With time this has improved immensely so much so that wish to hit the gym when I can.
I gave it that extra bit of time as mentioned above, now feel in the next month or so need to go gym.
Thank god in a position to even say that!!!
Glad you doing well mate :O)

Reactions: 3mm
Don,

Be careful. I had my aortic valve replaced in May 2022. I had a goal of bench pressing 135 for 10 slow reps with perfect form at six months after surgery. I accomplished this. However, I believe that this *may* have contributed to issues that I currently experience to this day. Up until that six month goal. I felt awesome and was doing great. It wasn’t until directly after achieving this goal that I started experiencing issues. From that point forward, any strenuous activity could lead to premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) and a general feeling of total exhaustion that would take a week or so to recover from. Granted, my workout routine was relatively fast paced and tough. But, it wasn’t anything new to me as I was doing the exact routine for years prior to surgery (10 sets of 10 reps in back to back succession. 1 minute break. Repeat two more times. 300 reps in about 25 minutes or so).

If I could do things all over again, I would not lift weights at all for an entire year after surgery. If I felt compelled to lift some thing in terms of weights, I would keep the weight ridiculously low. I would focus more on walking and walking and walking and walking. I would then switch over to some light, jogging, and/or cardio.

I absolutely love working out with weights. I have done it for 35 years ever since I was in high school. However, I can no longer lift weights as aggressively as I once did. That makes me kind of sad. But, the thankfulness and happiness of being given this second chance at life with this mechanical valve far outweighs any of that. I am blessed.

I think a lot of what individuals need to do for recovery depends on their age. I was 50 when my valve was replaced. I shouldn’t have expected to recover like the 20 or 30 year olds on this forum. I should have given myself much more time to recover and allow my heart to remodel.

I would ask your doctor. I know for me, my docs always told me no weight lifting or wrestling (I am allowed to do light resistance training, just not heavy stuff), but each of us is different. I don't think this had anything to do with my valve, but other issues (because I had a congenital coarctation, I believe I will always have elevated blood pressure even though it is currently controlled with meds).

I would not lift weights at all for an entire year after surgery. If I felt compelled to lift some thing in terms of weights, I would keep the weight ridiculously low.
I listened to Timmay last winter when I graduated from cardiac rehab and was cleared to start lifting more than 20 lbs. My exercise is using light weights (20 lb dumbbells), exercise rubber bands, and body weight. I perform many repetitions in a slow, controlled manner. I listen carefully to my body while exercising; if it hurts, I stop doing that exercise, or modify that exercise to be within my limits.

Life is a journey; exercise is part of that journey. We want to continue to move forward, and sometimes we need to adjust the pace.

Don,

Be careful. I had my aortic valve replaced in May 2022. I had a goal of bench pressing 135 for 10 slow reps with perfect form at six months after surgery. I accomplished this. However, I believe that this *may* have contributed to issues that I currently experience to this day. Up until that six month goal. I felt awesome and was doing great. It wasn’t until directly after achieving this goal that I started experiencing issues. From that point forward, any strenuous activity could lead to premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) and a general feeling of total exhaustion that would take a week or so to recover from. Granted, my workout routine was relatively fast paced and tough. But, it wasn’t anything new to me as I was doing the exact routine for years prior to surgery (10 sets of 10 reps in back to back succession. 1 minute break. Repeat two more times. 300 reps in about 25 minutes or so).

If I could do things all over again, I would not lift weights at all for an entire year after surgery. If I felt compelled to lift some thing in terms of weights, I would keep the weight ridiculously low. I would focus more on walking and walking and walking and walking. I would then switch over to some light, jogging, and/or cardio.

I absolutely love working out with weights. I have done it for 35 years ever since I was in high school. However, I can no longer lift weights as aggressively as I once did. That makes me kind of sad. But, the thankfulness and happiness of being given this second chance at life with this mechanical valve far outweighs any of that. I am blessed.

I think a lot of what individuals need to do for recovery depends on their age. I was 50 when my valve was replaced. I shouldn’t have expected to recover like the 20 or 30 year olds on this forum. I should have given myself much more time to recover and allow my heart to remodel.
Timmay,

Thanks for the heads up mate. I have done no weights for maybe 25 odd years or exercise for that matter.
With this new valve thought would be an idea to give it a go. But was weary hence why I asked here.

Doing some light walking recently and yes maybe I should concentrate on this along with cardio stuff before considering anything else.

Thanks pal for sharing your experience as gives me an insight as to wear I am with no experience with weights etc.

I am 47, so way behind the folks that were lifting weight before surgery.

But yes given that second chance with life outweighs everything else.

I would ask your doctor. I know for me, my docs always told me no weight lifting or wrestling (I am allowed to do light resistance training, just not heavy stuff), but each of us is different. I don't think this had anything to do with my valve, but other issues (because I had a congenital coarctation, I believe I will always have elevated blood pressure even though it is currently controlled with meds).
Not always easy to get appointments with Doctors but this would be the best thing to do.
I was not allowed to do pe when younger or swimming for that matter for most of my life mostly due to valve but thought now been replaced, should be ok!
Will need to reconsider as no point doing any long term damage, yes we need to progress but not at any cost

I listened to Timmay last winter when I graduated from cardiac rehab and was cleared to start lifting more than 20 lbs. My exercise is using light weights (20 lb dumbbells), exercise rubber bands, and body weight. I perform many repetitions in a slow, controlled manner. I listen carefully to my body while exercising; if it hurts, I stop doing that exercise, or modify that exercise to be within my limits.

Life is a journey; exercise is part of that journey. We want to continue to move forward, and sometimes we need to adjust the pace.
I not planning to lift crazy weight myself just some weight to assist with general fitness.
But i think will stick to doing cardio for a while before even considering any weights due to my lack of prior experience.

My cardio doc keeps encouraging me to lift light dumbells (5 - 10lbs). I have a set of the small hand ones sitting right next to my desk at home (I work from home). Unfortunately, they are in the same place as I put them over a year ago. Okay, I just moved them an inch, so I have picked them up...:)

The thing on the weight restriction is that it takes the muscles and the sternum one year to heal, and that takes time. Not that everyone is different, it takes a year for your body to heal from the surgery. Muscles are in trauma from the cutting and the sternum from the separation of the rib cage during surgery.

I’m 56 years old. My wife and I hit the gym 5 days a week. I’m on my second AVR, and heading into my 3rd in less than a month. I recommend weights and cardio! It’s what has enabled my heart to maintain 60% EF even though I’m in CHF. I’m heading into what hopefully will be my last AVR Aug 12th 2024 in the best shape I’ve been in. I agree in waiting to start weight training until my doctors give me the nod. But I’ll be ready when they do. Our health is up to us. Our lives are too! Listen to both! 👍😊

Actually a sternotomy does NOT cut muscles.
Totally no argument from me on that point.

However I recall some surgeries for mitral go between the ribs. I Google searched and found this...
IMG_20240714_174738.jpg

I highlighted in red (Google highlighted in blue) what surprised (yet didn't) me.

Life saving surgery has got to the point where "cosmetically very appealing" is a key point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However I recall some surgeries for mitral go between the ribs. I Google searched and found this...
My mitral valve surgery was between the ribs, though not robotic. The incision was just under five inches long, in the crease under my right breast, so the scar is essentially invisible now. It took probably a month to heal, though, not "7-10 days." And the holes from my chest tube and drain were draining fluid for three weeks.

I didn't read all the comments, but did anyone mention Arnold Schwarzenegger blowing out his aortic valve shortly after a Ross procedure? This was back in 1997 and it's interesting that you can't find anything about it online anymore. That's what happens when you have money to clean up your screw-ups. Anyway, the story I remember was that he started exercising too soon, blew it out, and had to have it replaced again within a very short time after the first surgery.

Back