Ideal BP for surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjay

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Is there an ideal BP heading into (4-6 weeks out) AVR? I'll be getting aortic root + ascending aorta + aortic valve (Bentall procedure).

My BP varies from 115/60 to 125-130/65-70 depending on the time of the day it's taken wrt the timing of BP meds. I'm on regular BP med and dosage. No beta blocker.

Years ago, I heard a surgeon saying BP should be <110, lower the better... makes surgery safer.

Does anyone have experience with this, or heard about this, or I'm just being too imaginative?

PS: As far heart rate, my resting HR is in low 50s (52-54), and I often took my heart rate during 1 hour runs to 150bpm (average)/165bpm (peak near the finish) until very recently. Have slowed down for surgery now. My theoretical MHR = 166 (220-54), as a 54 yr old. Garmin watch tell me I'm very fit for my age including VO2 max :)

Last edited:
Years ago, I heard a surgeon saying BP should be <110, lower the better... makes surgery safer.

Does anyone have experience with this, or heard about this,
in my whole life its never come up (first surgery at 10 years old, then 28, then 48). Perhaps because I've been about 120/80 my whole life. Maybe if I was obese or had hypertension someone would have; nobody has. You aren't either it would seem.

or I'm just being too imaginative?

Well I wouldn't have said that myself, but now that you have I'm inclined to reply "yes"

To me (speaking here as Captain Overthink) there's
  • not thinking about it at all
  • thinking about it,
  • over thinking it

and then there's where you are right now.

Don't overthink things ... enjoy other things instead, because you aren't doing the surgery (on yourself) a team of experts is.

Best Wishes

No need to worry about this. During surgery, the heart and lung machine will control your blood pressure. It is an advanced system with calculations to keep your blood pressure at ideal levels throughout your surgery.

After surgery your blood pressure will be closely monitored and kept under control with medication. I'm not sure what you are currently on, but they will probably add a beta blocker as well, which is pretty standard.

Thank you. I decided to ask rather than to wonder (given someone had told me in the past). I agree surgeons and experts will be working on me and I will just be lying down, but doing what I can to make myself a good candidate for them :)
Thank you

Latest posts

Back