I should have said hello here first.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatoriFround

Hello!

I am a 50 year old male with aortic stenosis and Pectus Excavatum (PEX) I found out 18 months ago, and at that time it was moderate. They also told me I have possible BAV although neither of the two echos I have had in that time frame can confirm due to the positioning of my heart in my chest caused by the PEX. My doctor just ordered a CT with contrast so I guess I will find out more after I am able to get that done.

With the memories I have of my PEX surgery when I was 7, I really don't want to get my chest cracked open again. It was the worst experience in my life and so painful. I understand intellectually they are two completely different surgeries, but it was BAD. With my PEX surgery cracked open my chest and put the metal bar in. I am not sure exactly which procedure I had, but it wasn't like what they do today. It was the worst pain of my life and lasted a long time. I am beginning to understand the mechanical valve is the better option, as opposed to the minimally invasive option, but am still having a hard time with it. Of course, the doctor hasn't even told me my options yet, so I am getting ahead of myself. I haven't even spoken with my cardiologist since the last echo. This is based on reading the results from MyChart. LOL This is the summary of my latest echo:

1721054788346.png

Last edited:
Welcome!

You probably shouldn't get ahead of yourself here. Is the "bar" still in your chest? If so, I'm wondering if OHS will be the best option for you. Perhaps TAVR is better? Anyway, that's really for the surgeon to discuss with you. As far as pain, I didn't take any pain medicine except Tylenol once I left the hospital (6 days out). I didn't even get the prescription filled until 8 weeks out when I had pericarditis, but that's another story that might be found in some of my old posts under Lisa In Katy, although I'm not sure because I first started in this group before it was a website and it was just an unending chat.

Welcome!

You probably shouldn't get ahead of yourself here. Is the "bar" still in your chest? If so, I'm wondering if OHS will be the best option for you. Perhaps TAVR is better? Anyway, that's really for the surgeon to discuss with you. As far as pain, I didn't take any pain medicine except Tylenol once I left the hospital (6 days out). I didn't even get the prescription filled until 8 weeks out when I had pericarditis, but that's another story that might be found in some of my old posts under Lisa In Katy, although I'm not sure because I first started in this group before it was a website and it was just an unending chat.
Oh no. The bar was temporary. Katy, Texas? That is right near me. LOL

I'm sorry to hear about your heart problems. When is your CT with contrast scheduled? When will you next talk with your cardiologist?
It is 10 days from now. I have no clue when I will speak with the cardiologist. I still haven't spoken with him after the last echo. It took almost two weeks after the results came in for his office to call and tell me they were referring me for a CT. Some of that was the 4th of July and the hurricane, but still.

I am beginning to understand the mechanical valve is the better option, as opposed to the minimally invasive option,
AFAIK these are different things, which are not quite related. You can get either mechanical valve or the tissue valve. And the surgery can be done through either minimally invasive access or the full sternotomy. But either valve type can be placed with either access method. As long as the surgeon is well practiced with the access method to be used... (otherwise there is a "learning curve")

AFAIK these are different things, which are not quite related. You can get either mechanical valve or the tissue valve. And the surgery can be done through either minimally invasive access or the full sternotomy. But either valve type can be placed with either access method. As long as the surgeon is well practiced with the access method to be used... (otherwise there is a "learning curve")
I didn't realize that. Thank you!

I didn't realize that. Thank you!
something worth observing is what V__ says here:
(otherwise there is a "learning curve")

meaning that like any "student" they don't do their best work when they start practicing ... remember, in Medicine; everyone is practising .... perhaps on you

Two old phrases:

Practice makes perfect

Theory is when we know why something should work, but it doesn’t.
Practice is when something works, but we don’t know why.
Here Theory and Practice meet: It doesn't work and we don’t know why."

- source Unknown

Last edited:
something worth observing is what V__ says here:

meaning that like any "student" they don't do their best work when they start practicing ... remember, in Medicine; everyone is practising .... perhaps on you

Two old phrases:

Practice makes perfect

Theory is when we know why something should work, but it doesn’t.
Practice is when something works, but we don’t know why.
Here Theory and Practice meet: It doesn't work and we don’t know why."

- source Unknown

I have been researching doctors and hospitals and am pretty sure I'm going to go with Houston Methodist and one of three doctors there, if I can get in with them. They all perform a ton of valve surgeries, and all seem to be welll versed in the different procedures. At least according to what the different sites say. All that said, part of it will be whether I can get in with one of these surgeons. I am currently hoping for Dr. Reardon, but... I think he may be pretty busy as he is the head of the whole she-bang.

Surgeons practicing reminds me of something funny, to me anyway. Before I had my surgery, I talked to my doctor about the clamshell incision, which curves under and between the breasts. I was 36 and didn't want a visible scar. He told me that he had done a couple before but it wasn't his favorite method because the access wasn't as good, especially on women whose breasts tend to get in the way, but would consider it. Once I was out of surgery, I was completely bandaged and didn't know what kind of incision I had for a few days, but was happy to see that it was indeed a clamshell. I didn't see the surgeon again in the hospital, but followed up with him a couple of weeks later and mentioned how glad I was that he decided to do it. With a completely straight face he told me that once he evaluated me on the table, it was easy to see that my breasts wouldn't be an issue! Guess that's one good thing with not being well endowed!

Back