Hunky Dory

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaton

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Good news from my 6 monthly check-up with cardiology.

Had an echocardiogram and consult with the cardio and it seems my gradients have lowered a fair bit since last February, thanks to the warfarin I began in April.

I started warfarin for my cerebellar infarcts (TIA/mini stroke) last December.

The cardiologist said the valve is functioning well, other than moderate stenosis – Aortic Valve Area now showing 1.04cm² (moderate). She will see me again in 6 months. And if all steady then, once every year.

She said to contact their team anytime, if I have concerns or worsening symptoms.

She said the lower leg swelling I’ve been experiencing is not valve related and not heart failure. I suspect the cellulitis I had some time ago may have caused damage. Will chat with the GP for an opinion and ask for a diuretic pill, if that’s an option (and tolerable).

Cardio has prescribed a statin… Atorvastatin🫤 – not for high cholesterol (my cholesterol/LDL levels are low) but because of some mild cardiovascular (LAD – Left Anterior Descending Artery) disease, plus previous mini stroke.

Probably unpleasant side effects from the statin. Not that keen, but hey ho, if it helps. I’ll give it a go and see how my body reacts. She said if any side effects are intolerable, to ask to be switched to an alternative.

She wants me to stay on the Bisoprolol. *Warfarin’s permanent.

Will be interesting to see if the warfarin keeps the blood flow on an even keel and my gradients... and stenosis!... stay reasonable.
** Time will reveal all.

February 2025 echo here I come!

* Hoping to start the anticoag clinic’s official warfarin self-testing programme at my next clinic appointment/INR test on August 20.

Having said that, I’ve been unofficially self-testing for some months now. Testing my new machine. Privately learning the ropes and intricacies of self-management and how my body responds to the dance of a vitamin K antagonist. My INR is currently stable. (2.5 this morning).

PHOTO-2024-08-07-07-18-02.jpeg

For the record, it was my valve's five-year anniversary 7 August.
Happy Birthday valve.

IMG_2436.jpeg

** This was Big Ben from Westminster Bridge yesterday morning, en route to my early cardiology appointment at St Thomas' Hospital, just across the river.
Was a sunny day. 🌞

Last edited:
Cardio has prescribed a statin… Atorvastatin🫤 – not for high cholesterol (my cholesterol/LDL levels are low) but because of some mild cardiovascular (LAD – Left Anterior Descending Artery) disease, plus previous mini stroke.

Probably unpleasant side effects from the statin. Not that keen, but hey ho, if it helps. I’ll give it a go and see how my body reacts. She said if any side effects are intolerable, to ask to be switched to an alternative.
I am on this medication and have no unpleasant side effects. Hopefully your experience is the same.

Thanks for the update Seaton.

it seems my gradients have lowered a fair bit since last February, thanks to the warfarin I began in April.
This is fantastic news!!

My INR is currently stable. (2.5 this morning).
Also, great news!

That is a very colorful heart shaped dinner plate you shared. But, a word of caution. You might want to check your INR again in the morning, because that grapefruit is going to wreak havoc on your INR ;) :ROFLMAO:

1723390872729.png

That is a very colorful heart shaped dinner plate you shared. But, a word of caution. You might want to check your INR again in the morning, because that grapefruit is going to wreak havoc on your INR ;) :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 890443
Grapefruit, like other citrus fruits, can affect INR. I recently found that "clemantines", another citrus fruit, will also increase INR if consumed daily. Many products can, might, sometimes affect INR.........but I don't remove them from my diet, I just consume them a little less frequently and in smaller servings.......works for me!

Good news from my 6 monthly check-up with cardiology.

Had an echocardiogram and consult with the cardio and it seems my gradients have lowered a fair bit since last February, thanks to the warfarin I began in April.

I started warfarin for my cerebellar infarcts (TIA/mini stroke) last December.

The cardiologist said the valve is functioning well, other than moderate stenosis. Seems the stenosis hasn’t narrowed further since my echo 6 months ago. Still 1.1cm² (moderate). She will see me again in 6 months. And if all steady then, once every year.

She said to contact their team anytime, if I have concerns or worsening symptoms.

She said the lower leg swelling I’ve been experiencing is not valve related and not heart failure. I suspect the cellulitis I had some time ago may have caused damage. Will chat with the GP for an opinion and ask for a diuretic pill, if that’s an option (and tolerable).

She wants me to stay on the Bisoprolol. *Warfarin’s permanent.

Will be interesting to see if the warfarin keeps the blood flow on an even keel and my gradients... and stenosis!... stay reasonable.
** Time will reveal all.

February 2025 echo here I come!

* Hoping to start the anticoag clinic’s official warfarin self-testing programme at my next clinic appointment/INR test on August 20.

Having said that, I’ve been unofficially self-testing for some months now. Testing my new machine. Privately learning the ropes and intricacies of self-management and how my body responds to the dance of a vitamin K antagonist. My INR is currently stable. (2.5 this morning).

View attachment 890432

For the record, it was my valve's five-year anniversary 7 August.
Happy Birthday valve.

View attachment 890431

** This was Big Ben from Westminster Bridge yesterday morning, en route to my early cardiology appointment at St Thomas' Hospital, just across the river.
Was a sunny day. 🌞
Atorvastatin, I am on it too, no unpleasant side effects

I had side effects with statins, I tried them all and couldn't tolerate them (severe muscle pain). A few years later, I couldn't say no anymore. I happened to see another GP in the office and he said to try CoQ10 along with my Crestor. I take 200mg daily. It has worked magic on me and no more side effects! I've been taking it for a couple of years now.

I had side effects with statins, I tried them all and couldn't tolerate them (severe muscle pain). A few years later, I couldn't say no anymore. I happened to see another GP in the office and he said to try CoQ10 along with my Crestor. I take 200mg daily. It has worked magic on me and no more side effects! I've been taking it for a couple of years now.
Hi Beach, severe muscle pain as in cramps?

I tried a statin for a while - loss of muscle mass.

I read 'The Great Cholesterol Myth' - there were some sections that gave terrible advice that would be very dangerous to people on warfarin. The book listed cholesterol as healthy - essential for myelin (the sheath around nerves) and other processes. It called out what it said was faulty research that equated cholesterol levels with heart issues, relating high cholesterol to risks of plaque formation in the arteries. It also talked about how the medical establishment fell for the findings hook, line, and sinker.

I'm not watching my cholesterol now - although my PCP told me a few days ago that it was within normal range.

The decision whether or not to take a statin is a personal one - or one to be made between you and your doctor. I'm not giving advice, and I don't expect to be slammed for referring to the book.

Personally, I didn't like the effects of the statin I took years ago (and started and stopped a few months ago).

I'm not taking one now.

Latest posts

Back