hogmanay

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jean Sisco

Scottie,

It must be the Irish addlin' my brain, but pray tell what is hogmanay? I have seen you use it a few times here at the holiday season and assume it is a holiday? If you told us, I must have missed that post. Thank you!

Nobody has owned up to not knowing what it is and nobody has told us what it is. But I bet it's happy holiday wishes - but it could be a cuss word for all I know. Hey Scottie................??????:D :D :D :D

Rob is right !!!!

Rob is right !!!!

Hi Jean ..yes the prize goes to Rob...Happy Hogmanay just means Happy New Year!...we are on the Island of Orkney to celebrate the arrival of 2002 or Hogmanay as we call it ...we have deep snow drifts ..but on Monday night we will be having a small party with the friends we are staying with ....then my son will pipe the bells in on his bagpipes and we will have fireworks and probably a dram before piling into the 4x4 to set of ,to "first foot " the neighbours or friends ...again we are piped into their houses with the men carring coal ....it is usually a fun night ...
On Tuesday we go into the town in Orkney ,Kirkwall to watch the Ball where the men of the Island divide into two sides and try and get the ball ,which is tossed up into the air in the middle of the town , to their side ...(boys will be boys ) ..this is an old custom that goes back many many yrs .
Anyway ..Have fun where ever you are everyone and what ever you are doing!..to those recovering ...many blessing for a wonderful recovery and to those who are still waiting ..enjoy yourselves
Happy Hogmanay to one and all
Scottie

Hogmanay

Hogmanay

Thanks Rob and all for enlightening me...and at least it is comforting to know I was not the only one wondering.

It sounds like a right proper celebration...I especially like the part about starting the first of the New Years Day with good and wiping out the bad of the past year. We all need that.

Blessings to all!

Back