Hip Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redone

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi,
Has anyone here done a hip replacement? I'm due for one after 5 years of dealing with IT Band Syndrome, still knee and pain off and on with pain being pretty intense now. I just had my gallbladder removed and had a super quick recovery. My concern is not regarding bridging, since I've done this twice now. I'm concerned about the increased risk of infection. Due to having a blood infection in 2022 it scares me more to have another foreign part in my body. If you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences I would appreciate it. I'm very active, fit, and still keep pressing forward despite all the surgeries. Has anyone had a hip replacement and how have you recovered?

Last edited:
An older acquaintance of mine had both hips replaced and did very well. My understanding is that hip replacement is a walk in the park (so to speak) compared to knee replacement.
Thank you for your response. I've heard the same. I work as a personal trainer and am very fit. My concern is with a mechanical heart valve I have already had a blood infection and two open heart surgeries. The second one was to repair the damage to both the mechanical valve and aorta. I ended up with strep B bacteremia .Antibiotics will always be taken before dental work. I was curious if anyone here had a hip replacement with a mechanical valve and if they have experienced any issues. I should have been more succinct in my original post

Hi
My concern is with a mechanical heart valve I have already had a blood infection and two open heart surgeries.
dunno if this helps, but as I understand it:
  1. if you've already had an infection (I assume endo) then statistically you're more likely to get it again. Presumably this is because the usual culprit for entry (gums) is not adequately addressed and it gets in again. Plenty of people only get it once (more never get it)
  2. the main issue with hip joint replacement is infection from skin bacteria such as propionibacteria (which amusingly was renamed to Cuties ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ NFI) (ref)
To my knowledge the cases of a source of endo getting into your heart from that isn't common, and I can say I've had propi infection after OHS, which had the surgical wound as the site of entry. Ten years of antibiotics and now approaching my second anniversary of getting off that (particular substance addiciton). Hi, my name is Pellicle and I was an addict

I had both hips replaced in 2005, separate operations 6 months apart. Smith & Nephew Oxinium product. I was 55 then. Had my aortic valve replaced in 2015 when I was 64. Edwards bovine pericardial tissue aortic valve and Dacron aorta aneurysm repair. Don't know if I have any information that would help you. I've had no issues with infection, but my operations weren't exactly as your's will be.

Last edited:
I had a knee replacement 4 years ago. Friend had a hip replacement around the same time. Knee was much harder to recover from as you have to work on getting the knee to bend. We do both bike around 2000 miles a year now with no problems.

Was bridging for knee and had a stroke on the second day. Was given the stroke buster drug. I do not remember any of it. But was kept for another week and sent home with no after affects. Doc told me it was caused by a clot forming on valve, not from knee. Was told very rare to occur.

Seeing doc in 2 weeks to have shoulder replaced. Will be what is called a reverse shoulder replacement as rotator tendons are completely torn.

I had right hip replacement with fantastic result BUT I had a battle to recover from internal bleeding. My 2 OHS were a walk in the park compared to the hip op, as the bleeding caused unbearable pain. 5 weeks later I was transferred to a rehab centre and recovered. I now need my left hip replacement. Good luck with the op and hopefully you will have a normal recovery like most people.

Hi

dunno if this helps, but as I understand it:
  1. if you've already had an infection (I assume endo) then statistically you're more likely to get it again. Presumably this is because the usual culprit for entry (gums) is not adequately addressed and it gets in again. Plenty of people only get it once (more never get it)
  2. the main issue with hip joint replacement is infection from skin bacteria such as propionibacteria (which amusingly was renamed to Cuties ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ NFI) (ref)
To my knowledge the cases of a source of endo getting into your heart from that isn't common, and I can say I've had propi infection after OHS, which had the surgical wound as the site of entry. Ten years of antibiotics and now approaching my second anniversary of getting off that (particular substance addiciton). Hi, my name is Pellicle and I was an addict
Thank you for this valuable information. I'm so glad you're doing well and are able to get off antibiotocs. I was on them with a PICC Line in 2022 and so sick. I actually felt sick after taking them for so long

I had both hips replaced in 2005, separate operations 6 months apart. Smith & Hephew Oxinium product. I was 55 then. Had my aortic valve replaced in 2015 when I was 64. Edwards bovine pericardial tissue aortic valve and Dacron aorta aneurysm repair. Don't know if I have any information that would help you. I've had no issues with infection, but my operations weren't exactly as your's will be.
I'm glad you haven't had any issues and hope you continue in good health. Now they typically do an anterior approach with hip replacements, which is what I'm having.

Reactions: V__
I had right hip replacement with fantastic result BUT I had a battle to recover from internal bleeding. My 2 OHS were a walk in the park compared to the hip op, as the bleeding caused unbearable pain. 5 weeks later I was transferred to a rehab centre and recovered. I now need my left hip replacement. Good luck with the op and hopefully you will have a normal recovery like most people.
I'm so sorry you had internal bleeding. I can't imagine how much pain you must have experienced. I hope when you choose to do your left hip it goes smoothly. Thank you for your response!

I'm glad you haven't had any issues and hope you continue in good health. Now they typically do an anterior approach with hip replacements, which is what I'm having.
Good luck on that. I can definitely say that the only recurring issue or complaint that I have from my hip operations is due to the massive amount of muscle that they cut through to get to the bone. Apparently that scar tissue never goes back close to pre-op conditions. I'm amazed by the very small incision that seems to all that's necessary for today's technology.

I had a knee replacement 4 years ago. Friend had a hip replacement around the same time. Knee was much harder to recover from as you have to work on getting the knee to bend. We do both bike around 2000 miles a year now with no problems.

Was bridging for knee and had a stroke on the second day. Was given the stroke buster drug. I do not remember any of it. But was kept for another week and sent home with no after affects. Doc told me it was caused by a clot forming on valve, not from knee. Was told very rare to occur.

Seeing doc in 2 weeks to have shoulder replaced. Will be what is called a reverse shoulder replacement as rotator tendons are completely torn.
Oh wow, that's a lot to go through. I'm sorry you had a stroke and hope you're doing well now. I have heard knee replacements are a lot harder to recover from. Good luck with you rotator cuff surgery. My mom went through that at 79 and had an amazing recovering. It took a while, but now she is back to her yoga with weights

I had both hips replaced in 2005, separate operations 6 months apart. Smith & Nephew Oxinium product.
That's almost 20 years ago. From what I (briefly) read on, it seems to be quite a good run for the new hips. Maybe not unusual, but it might be longer than typical. Can I ask you how well the prosthesis has been working out for you?

That's almost 20 years ago. From what I (briefly) read on, it seems to be quite a good run for the new hips. Maybe not unusual, but it might be longer than typical. Can I ask you how well the prosthesis has been working out for you?
Absolutely no issues at all. The Smith & Nephew Oxinium product was new, state of the art at the time and I was told to expect excellent results. They will far outlive me.

Back