Headaches post-surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zara0006

Hi all,

I finally had surgery 3 weeks ago to replace my severely stenotic bicuspid valve with an Edwards tissue valve, and replace the ascending aorta. I’m on warfarin for 3 months and bisoprolol 1.25mg, generally recovering okay but I wake up with an excruciating headache daily, sometimes it starts during the day, sometimes evening, plus I get dizzy spells once or twice a day and generally feel out of it in the afternoon. My blood pressure is very low and I was told this is all to be expected, so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and continued on bisoprolol despite the symptoms?

Thanks!

Zara0006 - I'm glad you are doing well overall! You are still in the recovery process, so you will continue to improve.

I am not an expert, but I do know that beta blockers such as bisoprolol affect blood pressure, so dose adjustments may be needed. Please ensure the doctor who prescribes the bisoprolol knows about your low blood pressure, headaches, etc. Be careful that a dizzy spell doesn't lead to a fall!

Hi Zara.

Welcome to the other side. Glad that you came through your surgery ok and are on the mend.

I wake up with an excruciating headache daily
My blood pressure is very low

Low blood pressure can cause headaches. See link below. You indicated that you are on a beta blocker even though you have very low blood pressure. I would suggest discussing lowering your dosage with you doctor. If your blood pressure is naturally low, perhaps you do not even need to be on the beta blocker at this point. Like you, I had a Bentall Procedure. My beta blocker dosage was gradually lowered and then at about 3 months I was taken off of it completely.

Symptoms of low blood pressure​

Constantly low blood pressure can be dangerous if it causes signs and symptoms such as:

• Confusion
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Fainting
  • Fatigue
  • Neck or back pain
  • Headache
  • Blurred vision
  • Heart palpitations, or feelings that your

https://www.heart.org/en/health-top...blood-pressure-when-blood-pressure-is-too-low

Hi and thank you both! I assumed the headaches were related to blood pressure, I think I’m on the lowest dose of bisoprolol already though! I’ll discuss coming off it when I see the GP next, but wasn’t sure if this was wise as it’s recommended to lower the heart rate etc in the early stages of recovery.

Post-op warm greetings to you, Zara. Great to see you posting again.

Sorry to hear about your current symptoms. Early days still in your recovery, but good news you’re recovering okay.

Time is the healer, and each person's recovery experience is unique. But things should improve considerably as the weeks pass.

Like you, I’m currently on the lowest (UK) daily dose of bisoprolol – 1.25 mg. I've only recently begun taking the drug. I’m on it not for blood pressure or high heart rate but because a recent 7-day Holter Monitor noted I had a burden of ventricular ectopic beats. My cardiologist thought I’d benefit from being on the drug following my recent cerebellar infarction (I’m also now on warfarin).

I’ve not had any noticeable headaches or dizziness from the drug, but I get weary at varying times of the day and now sleep like a log at night with vivid dreams.

My usual heart rate is between 60 - 70 bpm. With the beta blocker, it’s low 50s, often dipping to mid to upper 40s late in the evenings. I take my bisoprolol last thing at night.

My blood pressure has been steady for some time, averaging about 115/71. How low is yours?

For the record, side effects of bisoprolol include dizziness and headaches. But like Chuck says, low blood pressure could be the culprit. Perhaps it’s a combination of the drug and low blood pressure contributing to the symptoms?

A chat with your GP is good or a cardiology contact? I had a cardiology lead nurse contact for any pre and post surgery questions I had.

I hope things improve and settle for you soon.

Last edited:
Thank you Seaton. My blood pressure has been around 96/60 at the lowest point, but it was 120/75 today and no change in symptoms. I guess it could also be the warfarin, it’s taken a while for my INR to be within range/ stable plus other side effects, and I was in hospital for 8 days because of it.

I think I do have a the number of a cardiac nurse so I’ll try to get in touch- thank you!

Since 2014, the doctor gave me Bisoprolol fumarate 5mg, I have never had any serious side effects etc.
However, there is a lack of medicine and my doctor gave me the same medicine from another company.
The dose is the same but I feel tired - bad mood - headaches etc
my doctor reduced the dose to 2.5mg. and he told me that it will take a few weeks for the body to get used to it.
I want to ask, while the basic essence is the same, why do I have these side effects, does the know-how and the method of preparation change the chemical action of the medicine?

Back