Bruised rib or internal bleeding?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamlee

I'm hoping I'm being a bit over the top but I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what they would do:

Last Saturday I went the my schools summer fayre and was helping out in the 'Beat the Keeper's. I was letting goals in for the little ones and being a bit silly and over-dramatic with it when I actually hurt myself - I fell over the ball and somehow landed on my elbow hurting my rib in the process. I was winded for a minute and carried on.

It has hurt during the week but today the pain has increased more slightly. Breathing deeply hurts a bit. Usually I would just say it is a bruised rib as its normal for it to get slightly worse before getting better. I've been at work all week too so haven't 'rested' like all the websites suggest. However, now I'm on warfarin I'm slightly worried about slowly developing internal bleeding.

I do have some light purple bruising on my leg but that could also just be from the same day of being a keeper. There's no bruising around the impact area or external inflammation. PXL_20240711_181705080.jpg

I'm not short of breath nor am I dizzy, light-headed, nauseous, pale, sweaty, clamming or anything else I've read about internal bleeding. My INR is 3.1 which is just out of my range of 2-3. Just the increased pain and potentially linked bruising (which I've taken a picture of to check for further spreading).

I'm just curious to what you guys would do? Would you worry about internal bleeding or just accept it is a probable bruised rib? Unfortunately in the UK if I go to A&E I could be there for 7 hours or more. A few months ago my wife dropped a heavy piece of wood on my head (accidentally she protests) and went to A&E and they didn't even do any scans.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done the activity but I wasn't anticipating being an idiot 😂.

Thanks in advance!

I did something similar about a year ago. Slipped on wet grass and fell forward down a slight incline. I caught myself with my arms extended. My arm was pushed into my ribs. It continued to hurt for 3 weeks and I thought perhaps I'd better find out if I had cracked a rib. My doc took an x-ray and told me I had not broken a rib.......I had broken 3 ribs. Since there was no misalignment of the ribs we just let them heal without treatment.......it took about 5 months for the pain to disappear. BTW, I am on warfarin and never had any sign of bruising in my chest area.

Back