Atrial Fibrillation, anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shone'sGirl

I just got treated for atrial fibrillation last week. It wasn't a big deal, I guess, because they did cardioversion and my heart went back to normal.

But I'm upset because I haven't had rhythm problems since I've had a pacemaker which is almost 10 years and all the cardiologists (all 5 of them) could say was that I've had so much heart surgery that this is just something that happens to people like me.

Or as one cardio put it "You have the heart of a 75-year old woman. It's normal." That's comforting. I'm 20.

Has anyone who's had a-fib get it for a more specific reason than just having "heart problems"? Is it the kind of thing that I can expect to happen again?

Thanks!

-Clare

Shone'sGirl said:
I just got treated for atrial fibrillation last week. It wasn't a big deal, I guess, because they did cardioversion and my heart went back to normal.

But I'm upset because I haven't had rhythm problems since I've had a pacemaker which is almost 10 years and all the cardiologists (all 5 of them) could say was that I've had so much heart surgery that this is just something that happens to people like me.

Or as one cardio put it "You have the heart of a 75-year old woman. It's normal." That's comforting. I'm 20.

Has anyone who's had a-fib get it for a more specific reason than just having "heart problems"? Is it the kind of thing that I can expect to happen again?

Thanks!

-Clare

Clare...welcome to VR.com, a great place for support and information. My case is much different but I have had a-fib and been cardioverted. Do a search on a-fib, there will be much information for you.

The main thing that brought mine on was over indulgence in alcohol. Also, I have heard people say really stuffing themselves (food) has caused a rhythm problem.

There are many here more knowledgeable than myself, I am sure they will chime in.

Again, welcome!

Hmmm....

I'm a little surprised they did NOT tell you about possible TRIGGERS for A-Fib (alcohol, caffeine in Coffee, Tea, Cokes, CHOCOLATE, etc.), Stress, Exertion, and others I have forgotten.

I'm also surprised they didn't try mediation. When I developed Exercise Induced A-Fib my Cardio switched me from a Low Dose Beta Blocker (Toprol XL) to SOTALOL (which is the Generic Form of Betapace) that specifically targets A-Fib. It's worked well for me for a couple of years now.

You may want to have a talk with an ElectroPhysiologist (Cardiologist who specializes in Heart Rhythm issues) to learn more about how the Heart's Electrical system works. Alternatively, do your own research for Atrial Fibrilation and the function of the Sinus Node.

'AL Capshaw'

Me too!!!

Me too!!!

Hey nice to meet another Shone's Syndrome patient! There aren't very many of us around.
I have had a-fib too and was on atenlol and then I had another a-fib attack and the dr. put me on sotolol and thank heavens I haven't had any more er visits since being put on sotolol. I also take fish oil and it has also helped this, but of course check with your dr's if you consider taking any fish oils.
I can't believe a dr. would tell you you have a heart of 75 year old woman...that is so unprofessional!!! The first time I had a-fib I think it was because I drank a Mountain Dew the night before. The 2nd time it happened I couldn't figure out why. I know exercising regularly helps a lot too to control this a-fib. I think aortic valve problems are susceptible to a-fib.
Good Luck and welcome to this great site!!!

Hi Clare -

I didn't even know you could be cardioverted while a pacer was in. Did they do it with the paddles? I was readmitted shortly after valve replacement and put on Sotalol and I was also given magnesium IVs and my A-fib/A-flutter disappeared.

Some heart meds can throw some mineral balance off in a body; are you on anything that might be throwing you off? My dad was on some heart meds for years that made his sodium too low and something else too high (his potassium as I recall) and I remember they had trouble with his mineral imbalance when he needed a pacer. Can you check your meds and ask your doctor and perhaps you could also ask your doctor about eating more things with magnesium? I don't know if this will help but perhaps?

BTW, some of the Medtronic pacer wires have been having troubles; can you check at your doctor's office and find out if yours are affected?

Take care and post again.

Clare,I could not help but notice that you are from Arlington. Last week they saved my wife Alice's life at Arlington Hospital. We were out to dinner at a son-in-law's when Alice went into cardiac arrest. I thought she was gone but the EMT's were there in 15 minutes thumping her chest and administering fluids and oxygen. Soon they got a pulse of 30 bpm and a BP of 70/40. The ambulance got her to the ER where they continued treatment and she began to talk and notice things. By history Alice now 78 had a "floppy" mitral valve, hypertension and afib. Afib controlled with cardioversion and sotolol, hypertension with cozaar and diuril. Final diagnosis "sick sinus syndrome".
Seen by electrophysiologist cardiologist ( 5 on staff at Arlington) who said Alice might not come out of nexr syncope. He put in a pacemaker next day. Her BP is now 120/70 and pulse rate right on 70 and she looks like a rose! I too did not know you could go back into afib even while on a pacemaker. I take Alice to get reprogrammed tomorrow and will ask how this happens.

Marty,

So sorry to hear of Alice's situation. That must have been terrifying. Very happy to hear she was revived and doing well!

Will keep you in my prayers.

Clare,

My initial reaction to your thread title was, "No, thanks, already have a-fib". ;) :D ;)

Seriously, tho, I have been living with constant a-fib for almost 4 years. Prior to that it was on and off for many years. Since I usually don't feel it, and I am on coumadin, my cardio and I decided to just leave it be. The assumption is that it is due to my atrium being so tortured during multiple surgeries. I do not have a pacer.

I hope you stay converted and all goes well in the future.

Nice Save Marty!

I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing well after that 'close encounter'.

Do YOU know how to do CPR?

'AL'

ALCapshaw2 said:
Nice Save Marty!

I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing well after that 'close encounter'.

Do YOU know how to do CPR?

'AL'

Yes,I've had many courses and done it on patients. However in this case, I was "paralyzed" but my wonderful son-in-law and those great Arlington EMT's got her back.

Marty said:
Yes,I've had many courses and done it on patients. However in this case, I was "paralyzed" but my wonderful son-in-law and those great Arlington EMT's got her back.

Things always are so different when it involves intimate family. When my dad was terminally ill I so often wanted to be not a nurse but just his daughter. I am so glad she pulled through and hopes she gets along fine.

Clare, sometimes no one knows what triggers atrial fib. The causes Al mentioned are surely some of them. I have personally found that when I am retaining fluid by more than a pound or two then I'm much more subject to an episode of atrial fib. When I convert back into sinus rhythm I lose all the extra fluid plus a little in just a few hours. If your potassium drops to a low level than atrial fib becomes more likely as well. For years the drug Flecainide kept me in sinus rhythm except for a few occasions but it ended up causing too many side effects for me. Right now I am on a small dose of Amiodarone and hope to be off it altogether in a few weeks.

The more often you go into atrial fib the less likely you will be able to stay out of it. The size of your left atrium also contributes to atrial fib. The more enlarged it is the more likely of going into atrial fib and staying in it.

I know it must be frustrating to be just 20 and have to be dealing with these issues. I hope you find some answers but sometimes nothing specific is noted.
Let us know how it goes for you, OK?

Thanks for all your comments!

They did put me on magnesium, but they didn't think any of my other meds were a cause for concern.

They did tell me about all the triggers, but none of them apply to me. I don't drink or smoke and my diet hasn't changed significantly enough for me to suddenly get a fib.

I think they did use the paddles, but they put these protective patches on my chest and back first, I think so I wouldn't get burned.

Marty- I'm sorry about your wife, I'm glad she's okay. I actually don't go to Arlington Hospital, even though it's like 4 blocks away from my house. I've been sick since birth so I have everything done at Children's Hospital in D.C.

They also adjusted my pacer so that if my heart goes into a fib, it will just pace at the normal rate so I won't be able to feel it. So if I got it again I wouldn't even know it. I'm also getting an electrophysiology study done to see if I need a defibrillator.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks!

-Clare

Marty said:
Last week they saved my wife Alice's life at Arlington Hospital. We were out to dinner at a son-in-law's when Alice went into cardiac arrest. I thought she was gone but the EMT's were there in 15 minutes thumping her chest and administering fluids and oxygen. Soon they got a pulse of 30 bpm and a BP of 70/40. The ambulance got her to the ER where they continued treatment and she began to talk and notice things.

Holy cow, Marty ... somehow I missed this 3 days ago or so ... very very sorry. Very glad your Alice is doing well now, though.

I have family in Arlington VA ... in fact, have a great Aunt Alice there ... he he ... small world ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Never settle for the path of least resistance" ... Lee Ann Womack ... 'I Hope You Dance'

Shone'sGirl said:
Thanks for all your comments!

They did put me on magnesium, but they didn't think any of my other meds were a cause for concern.

They did tell me about all the triggers, but none of them apply to me. I don't drink or smoke and my diet hasn't changed significantly enough for me to suddenly get a fib.

I think they did use the paddles, but they put these protective patches on my chest and back first, I think so I wouldn't get burned.

Marty- I'm sorry about your wife, I'm glad she's okay. I actually don't go to Arlington Hospital, even though it's like 4 blocks away from my house. I've been sick since birth so I have everything done at Children's Hospital in D.C.

They also adjusted my pacer so that if my heart goes into a fib, it will just pace at the normal rate so I won't be able to feel it. So if I got it again I wouldn't even know it. I'm also getting an electrophysiology study done to see if I need a defibrillator.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks!

-Clare

Clare, there is no better place in the world than Children's to care for Shone's
Keep on, keepin' on!

Marty I just noticed your post hidden here, and I am so glad your wife is back and doing OK with a pacemaker.

Joe had a pacemaker for many years, his was a single chamber. He was in afib much of the time even with the pacemaker. Perhaps a newer one would have helped.

His did help with low heart rates and kept him from fainting, but didn't prevent afib.

His was a "brady" versus a "tachy" or combo one.

Nancy said:
Marty I just noticed your post hidden here, and I am so glad your wife is back and doing OK with a pacemaker.

Joe had a pacemaker for many years, his was a single chamber. He was in afib much of the time even with the pacemaker. Perhaps a newer one would have helped.

His did help with low heart rates and kept him from fainting, but didn't prevent afib.

His was a "brady" versus a "tachy" or combo one.

Nancy, Alice got a Medtronic double wire atrioventricular rate responsive little computer. Its working quite well so far and she's just now beginning to feel like she might make it. She will have to go in to see the EP's every now and then but they gave her a modem where she can phone in anytime and find out how she's doing. Hi-tech, Huh?

Joe was due for a replacement, but he never made it to that point. Perhaps he would have gone high tech too. After getting his low tech single chamber pacemaker, I was just very glad that he wasn't falling over any more without a pulse and his eyes rolled back in his head. That was scary and it happened several times, all of which I witnessed but wasn't close enough to do anything about. And like your wife, the EMTs came very fast and found a pulse that I couldn't and revived him. Life is very precious.

It really amazing what they can fit into one of those tiny implants. I'm sure all parents would also like to have (for their kid's toys) the very long life batteries that are in them as well.

Latest posts

Back