A really cool Olympic moment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygirlmom

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm all hopped up on steroids so I'm up all night watching the Olympics. I just saw Shalane Flanagan of the US get bronze in the women's 10km.

It was a contest for third, made tougher for Shalane because she was recovering from food poisoning.

Her mom (also a competitive runner) was cheering the whole way. When Shalane crossed the finish line she wasn't sure if she was third or fourth. When the press told her she was third she started to cry.

Someone gave her a flag and she ran over to her mom, and her mom was going nuts, and the sight of her mom cheering like mad while her daughter ran with the flag made me cry. I think probably the whole American audience was crying by that time, at least if they could see her mom.

I've seen some athletes do some cool stuff in the Olympics, but so far this was the most fun moment for me.

I finally figured out what channel the olympics are on (nbc I think) and I watched women's gymnastics last night. They're definitely NOT judging fairly to the American girls. It was really frustrating. Coincidentally, the chinese were receiving high marks for mediocre performances. Shawn Johnson was robbed on a few events, i think.

What about that young American swimmer....got his 7th gold medal. Amazing young man.

Saw Phelps take that seventh gold last night. It was a tight one. Won by only .01 seconds. :eek: You really had to watch the replay over and over to see who touched first! Later they showed his mom's reaction. She fell down she was so excited. It was a great moment. :D

Been a good Olympics for the Americans so far. Michael Phelps goes for gold No. 8 as part of a relay team tonight, the American women gold and silver in gymnastics, the Redeem Team (basketball) undefeated so far, softball and track and field cranking up. Lots of memorable Olympic moments.

All this and baseball pennant races heating up, and NFL and college football about to start. Great time for sports fans. :)

Got to fight off urge to be a couch potato and be sure to take time to walk the Superdawg. :D

Been a good Olympics for the Americans so far. Michael Phelps goes for gold No. 8 as part of a relay team tonight, the American women gold and silver in gymnastics, the Redeem Team (basketball) undefeated so far, softball and track and field cranking up. Lots of memorable Olympic moments.

All this and baseball pennant races heating up, and NFL and college football about to start. Great time for sports fans. :)

Got to fight off urge to be a couch potato and be sure to take time to walk the Superdawg. :D

And the Cubs and the White Sox still in first place! I can't even think about how the city of Chicago would react to a "Subway Series"- or should I say an "El" series. A friend of mine from Massachusetts was flabbergasted when we could not get tickets to Wrigley Field in the bleachers on a cloudy day when the Cubs were in last place. He stated that the Red Sox had difficulty filling their stadium even when they were in first place. Maybe that's changed now, but there's that Cub-fan loyalty for you! I grew up near Wrigley Field, met Ernie Banks once, etc. Even though I'm only 46, it seems that sports figures were more accessible. We even sang Christmas carols at Walter Payton's house when I was in high school, and you could watch the Bears practice for free almost any time. Or maybe it's a Chicago thing...

I know it's not really heart talk, but a lot of people will be grabbing their chests if the Cubs win the World Series....

Nice day in Idaho,
-Laura

FYI-
We were in Chicago last weekend (what a great city) to see the Red Sox against the White Sox. Can't get a ticket at Fenway so we left the state!
At the game we went to, I'd say 70% of the fans were Red Sox fans. Plenty of empty seats though. Locals told us that just about everyone in Chicago is a Cubs fan (toured Wrigley field-amazing!)

The Olympic swimming events make me so glad that I'm a semi-serious swimmer!:)

I've been glued to the TV everynight too & watching all the great olympic moments. And I have to agree w/you Aaron, the judges really did hit the American women hard in the scoring in gymnastics. This was a bit upsetting.:(

And too, since I'm an avid archer, I've yet to see any Archery competitions! :( It seems to me that archery never gets the exposure it rightly deserves! (my opinion of course!) And it is a very popular & growing sport throughout the world especially in the UK & China!

If anyone knows when they're going to air Archery, give me a shout please!

Okay, wasn't going to say anything but .....my turn to brag.....kinda.
Come Wednesday there will BMX (bicycle motor cross) racing, first time at the Olympics. My son used to race BMX and got to be friends with Samantha Cools, she's a little older but was always there to give my son pointers after each race. Nice kid that Sam is/was.
She will racing for Canada, but I think she lives in the states now.
Kinda cool (no pun intended) to really know someone participating in the games.
Okay, I'm done now.........carry on

Granted its the first time for BMX this year and it is considered to be a regular sport. They skipped over the exhibition part, saying that "snowboarding never had an exhibition event, why should we".
You'll have to watch these guys "FLY" over the jumps.
Qualifying will be one race, to determine time & position in the starting gate. Then they will have 3 motos (races) in the quarter finals taking the top 4, semi finals which are 3 motos, and then the finals which is 1 race to determine the winner.
CORRECTION: BMX Tuesday & Wednesday evening (my time)
Check your NBC channel/network for times.......use the internet..its faster LOL

Latest posts

Back