12 week update: Work in process

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjay

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Background: 55 yr old male. Always led active and healthy lifestyle, athletic, competitive sports (previously), recreational long-distance runner. First referred to AVR some 22 years ago (2002) when I was 33, but that’s a separate topic for another day :)
Valve anatomy changed overtime - originally regurgitation, then stenosis (so mixed). Preserved systolic function. Ejection Fraction (EF) 50-55% before/at surgery.
No symptoms prior to surgery, except my 1-hr runs started getting harder and slower for the last 2 years. More input, less output: From 7-7.5 miles to 6.5-7 miles, then barely 6 miles in 1-hr running. I classified myself as recreational runner (8-9 min/mile guy), not elite by any means :)

Surgery: July 23, 2024 - Bentall procedure (AVR with On-X mechanical valve, aortic root and ascending aorta). 200 mins on heart-lung bypass machine (valve too calcified, other issues encountered during surgery).

Lowlights:
  • Buy 1, Get 1 (got a stent): Felt great after surgery since I woke up in the ICU. No issues, felt invincible. As they were getting ready to discharge me on day 6-7, my surgeon ordered a CT scan. On CT, they saw a “pinch” or “kink” in my left main coronary artery (which happened when it was plugged-back into the newly replaced ascending aorta). They sent me back to heart catheterization/angiogram for confirmation, and put a stent upon confirmation.
That was a bummer of course. My cholesterol and lipid profile had always been text-book perfect. Before the surgery, they had done CT Angiogram multiple-times and all my coronary arteries were in a good shape, promised to last my lifetime. Especially the left main coronary was wide-wide open.​
Well, it happens, now move on. Finally discharged after 15 days.​
Note: In retrospect, if I didn’t have the complication of “pinched/kinked” left main coronary artery (which potentially led to other issues below as well), I would probably be in a much better shape post-op.
  • Go home, then come right back: A couple of days after discharge, I went from walking miles to not even able to move. My condition deteriorated significantly over that weekend and I went to ER Monday AM in a very bad shape. They found a large effusion around my heart. I was sent to heart catheterization lab again and they drained 1 liter of fluid around my heart. I felt good instantly but was kept in the hospital for another 7 days for effusion monitoring.
This large effusion was perhaps caused by too many drugs in my system especially blood thinners/anti-platelet/anti-coagulant (Plavix for stent, and Coumadin & Heparin for valve; Lasix dose not keeping up etc).​
  • AFib: A day after the effusion drainage (see above) while I was still in hospital, my heart went into AFib. Stayed in AFib for 2 days, and just when they were contemplating cardioversion, it went back to sinus rhythm on its own. No prior history of AFib, or any repeat since.
  • Long hospital stay: 22 days = 15 days (original AVR surgery + stent etc) + 7 days (effusion issue). Spending most of first 4-weeks at the hospital.
  • Echo (EF and Pericardial Effusion): I’m most disheartened by the drop of my EF post-surgery. Not sure what caused that. I had never been below 50-55% ever, including months before, and at the surgery itself (pre and post Cardiopulmonary bypass EF was 50-55%).
Because I was in the hospital for so long for other subsequent complications, they did echos many times (mainly for effusion tracking), and all were <40% (38-39%) EF. Surgeon’s office kept saying it would get better overtime …..​
Pericardial Effusion continued to be there, although dropped gradually.​
If anyone has similar experience with reduced EF after surgery, please share.
  • Covid: I picked up Covid during week#6 perhaps from someone at the lab where I went for INR tests, or at cardio rehab. 2-3 days of low-grade fever and cough, and 5-6 days of no cardiovascular activity or exercise.
Highlights:
  • Walk, jog, run: Despite my post-op issues and lengthier stay at the hospital, I was walking 1-mile at 1-week there, and then 3-4 miles/day (total of all 3 sessions of a given day) after 10-12 days. Nurses teased me if I was training for Olympics (since Paris Olympics was happening then) :)
At home, I went from walking -> brisk walking -> Incline walking -> Incline jogging -> Running. I made good use of home treadmill plus some sessions outdoors.​
Walk: At 1-month, I walked 10k (6.25 miles) on treadmill in 1:45:00​
Walk-Jog at incline: At 2-month, I could walk-jog (at 3.6 – 4.5+ mph) on incline (0-10 degree) on treadmill for 1-hr.​
Run: At 10-12 weeks, I can run >5 miles (5.x mph) in continuous 1-hr run. I did a 5k outdoors in 32:43 (10:26/mile pace)​
Mind you, none of this is fun. It doesn’t feel easy at all. It’s a struggle but very satisfying. It’s much harder than it used to be before surgery.
    • MHR (Maximum Heart Rate)/RHR (Resting Heart Rate): As I started incline jogging or flat running, I was able to maintain average HR of ~145-150 BPM (~85-90% MHR) with peak hitting close to MHR. Just as I did that, interestingly my RHR also dropped significantly (by 20 BPM to 60-65 BPM) within 10 beats of my pre-surgery RHR (50-55 BPM). In my case, MHR (theoretical) = 220 – age = 220 – 55 = 165
    • VO2 max: My pre-surgery VO2 max was 46 as per Garmin watch, and is now at 43 post-surgery.
    • Body weight: Right after surgery, gained ~10lbs (fluid retention), but lost all that while still in hospital (thanks to Lasix). Then after most of 1st month at hospital with no appetite, I dropped another 10 lbs (muscle mass etc). Now I’m back to where I was before surgery (156-158 lbs).
  • Echo: My most recent echo after 11-weeks post-op at my 1st cardiologist appointment showed somewhat improved EF of 45%. Some relief. The pericardial effusion is minimal/trace so that’s better too. A couple of other lingering attributes which time will resolve hopefully.
  • Life returning to normal: I officially started working after 7 weeks and have been traveling soon after (work involves travel). Life is largely back to normal, what more to ask for :)
I would like to thank this wonderful community for its tremendous support, experience and wisdom, and overall attitude to help others during the most challenging times.

Last edited:
Life returning to normal: I officially started working after 7 weeks and have been traveling soon after (work involves travel). Life is largely back to normal, what more to ask for :)
Glad things are working out for you. It sounds as tho you have taken an around about way to get to "normal". I hope you have smoother sailing now

Latest posts

Back