10 Days Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthVanJosh

Well just hit the 10th day since they sliced me open and put in my mechanical bentall. Thought I'd give a bit of an update as when I was reading the form I appreciated seeing other users experiences.

A lot of people would always mention the breathing tube coming out as being a pain point but I was so drugged up and out of it that I don't even remember them pulling it out with was nice. I do remember throwing up a ton right when I woke up. I volunteered for a study where they put nerve blockers in my back to see if it helps the recovery process for OHS patients, and the nurses think that's what made me so sick right away. Them pulling out the chest/neck tubes were for sure uncomfortable but honestly the most painful part was them taking the chest wires out of me! Apparently it just feels weird for most people but holy did it hurt for me!

The first couple days in the hospital were pretty brutal for me as I was very nauseous from the study and the painkillers they were giving me, and I developed a bit of a coughing fit. After I was able to just stick with tylenol my nauseau was just fine. Other than that, outside the lackluster hospital food, the uncomfortable beds (I can't stress how much I hate hospital beds), and the nurses hunting for my bowel movements :ROFLMAO: , it was a pretty uneventful stay at the hospital. I got discharged 6 days after my surgery and have been home since.

I have already had a couple days where I overdid it in terms of walking, and have felt the after effects, so trying to slow it down and bit and feel like I have a good routine now. Glad its summer time and I can at least enjoy my brief moments of sunshine! Looking forward to starting my physio and hopefully getting back to my normal self in a couple months.

So far my INR has been within the 2-3 range. But as I'm now starting to get my appetite back its defs jumping up and down a bit (2.9 two days ago vs 2.4 today). However I'm not too worried about it, my doctor is all over it in terms of helping me dose properly and hopefully it balances out soon. My blood pressure which was around 170-180/52 is now at an incredible 115/75 last time I checked it! Granted they do have my on a BP med right now but its amazing to see the difference so quickly

Anyway, its been a blessing that its been uneventful so far. Modern medicine is truly amazing and this whole experience has certeintly put life in a different perspective for me.

Cheers,
Josh

Hey Josh

welcome to the other side

Well just hit the 10th day since they sliced me open and put in my mechanical bentall. Thought I'd give a bit of an update as when I was reading the form I appreciated seeing other users experiences.

I'm sure this exactly is good reading for many new members and lurkers alike.

I wish you a smooth remainder of your recovery. Glad to read that the INR is in the right place.

Best Wishes

Them pulling out the chest/neck tubes were for sure uncomfortable but honestly the most painful part was them taking the chest wires out of me! Apparently it just feels weird for most people but holy did it hurt for me!
This was the case for me as well! I was bracing myself for the chest tube from everything I’d read, seen online -But it was that little wire that needed to be pulled out slowly and methodically that killed me. Almost like someone cutting you with scissors 😖

A lot of people would always mention the breathing tube coming out as being a pain point but I was so drugged up and out of it that I don't even remember them pulling it out with was nice. I do remember throwing up a ton right when I woke up. I volunteered for a study where they put nerve blockers in my back to see if it helps the recovery process for OHS patients, and the nurses think that's what made me so sick right away. Them pulling out the chest/neck tubes were for sure uncomfortable but honestly the most painful part was them taking the chest wires out of me! Apparently it just feels weird for most people but holy did it hurt for me!

The first couple days in the hospital were pretty brutal for me as I was very nauseous from the study and the painkillers they were giving me, and I developed a bit of a coughing fit. After I was able to just stick with tylenol my nauseau was just fine. Other than that, outside the lackluster hospital food, the uncomfortable beds (I can't stress how much I hate hospital beds), and the nurses hunting for my bowel movements :ROFLMAO: , it was a pretty uneventful stay at the hospital. I got discharged 6 days after my surgery and have been home since.

I have already had a couple days where I overdid it in terms of walking, and have felt the after effects, so trying to slow it down and bit and feel like I have a good routine now. Glad its summer time and I can at least enjoy my brief moments of sunshine! Looking forward to starting my physio and hopefully getting back to my normal self in a couple months.

So far my INR has been within the 2-3 range. But as I'm now starting to get my appetite back its defs jumping up and down a bit (2.9 two days ago vs 2.4 today). However I'm not too worried about it, my doctor is all over it in terms of helping me dose properly and hopefully it balances out soon. My blood pressure which was around 170-180/52 is now at an incredible 115/75 last time I checked it! Granted they do have my on a BP med right now but its amazing to see the difference so quickly

Anyway, its been a blessing that its been uneventful so far. Modern medicine is truly amazing and this whole experience has certeintly put life in a different perspective for me.

Cheers,
Josh
Very happy to see your good experience and great recovery path, Josh :)
Wish you a continued awesome rest of the recovery.

Back