Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: Acid Reflux & Aspirin

Default Acid Reflux & Aspirin

Years ago I had server acid reflux and was put on a prescription for about 2 weeks and never had an experience again until now.

So here's the deal, I started 81mg of aspirin about a month ago. 2 weeks ago I started having acid reflux - it would come and go throughout the day and it wasn't a big concern. Now it's consistent. That closing feeling at the back of the throat feeling, between the shoulder blades are sore and Zentact doesn't help.

Could the aspirin be the cause of all of this? I've read conflicting articles.

Does anyone have any insight on this? (I'm pretty miserable right now)

Thanks in advance
    Laughter is the Best Medicine

MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days - Shocked & Dumbfounded
    I've learned..That to ignore the facts does not change the facts

Is the asprin a "coated" type?

yes they are coated. That was the first I checked this morning.

Having them coated is a "good thing" right?

MVR March 30/07 Carbomedics Valve - Said and done in 5 days - Shocked & Dumbfounded

aspirin (even the enteric coated) tears my stomach up bad and no amount of zantac will quell the fire. I think it's definitely possible.
    In the living room.

"If something is going to affect your life, it's best to know as much as you can about it." -Donald Trump

I am not a doctor or a medical professional! Always check with your doctor before acting on any information that doesn't come from your doctor.

If you have/had an aneurysm, please answer my poll here:

I never had a problem with this until I started on Aspirin post surgery.
    I have tried 3 different types of low dose Aspirin.
    Uncoated this is what I was first on and once the problem started I thought try something else.
    I tried the enteric coated and this was better, however some things still caused problems especially alcohol.
    I then tried "Cartia" which appears to have a different coating, they call it Duentric, I can't say what the difference is however I rarely have problems these days.
    OldManEmu

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." FDR

I was put on prilosec after my surgery because of all the pills I had to take and especially the aspirin but it isn't good to take that all the time. I stopped taking that and now I get heartburn occasionally, definetly more often than when I wasn't taking aspirin. Usually one pepto bismal chewable works, sometimes I need two. Tums and rolaids are worthless though.
    MV repair 7/26/10 @ the Cleveland Clinic w/Dr. Gillinov Post surgery a-fib, Dressler's, anemia "It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all". ~Albert Camus

Consult your doctor first, but have you checked into taking Krill oil instead of aspirin? Aspirin is prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots, there are several countries in the UK that do not undertake the practice of prescribing aspirin to thin the blood, and they prescribe fish oil instead. Many studies over there have exposed daily aspirin use as being damaging to the gastro-intestional tract causing long term consequences.

I will spare you the heap of "drug companies warping the healthcare system" speech, however, drugs like Zantac, Prilosec, Omeprozole, and the others are NOT the long term answer for acid reflux! These drugs deprive your body of valuable nutrients as they prevent the absorption of many vitamins we need to live and fight off sickness. Drugs like Prilosec, zantac, and the other anti-stomach acid stuff were not designed initially to be taken for long periods of time just because of this. If you have persistent GURD or reflux, you need to find out why and get it resolved. There are alternatives to aspirin as well.

Best of luck

hi, i have ibs so was worried when i was given aspirin,i take the encoated 81mg and seem to do ok with it,interesting one about some counties not giving it? yorkshire does lol,havnt heard of that one and lived in england all my life
    had avr replacement feb 2008 tissue valve fitted have got a nice porky pig one so no bacon for me ha ha,on hbp tabs and beta blockers,

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Consult your doctor first, but have you checked into taking Krill oil instead of aspirin? Aspirin is prescribed to thin the blood and prevent clots, there are several countries in the UK that do not undertake the practice of prescribing aspirin to thin the blood, and they prescribe fish oil instead. Many studies over there have exposed daily aspirin use as being damaging to the gastro-intestional tract causing long term consequences.

I will spare you the heap of "drug companies warping the healthcare system" speech, however, drugs like Zantac, Prilosec, Omeprozole, and the others are NOT the long term answer for acid reflux! These drugs deprive your body of valuable nutrients as they prevent the absorption of many vitamins we need to live and fight off sickness. Drugs like Prilosec, zantac, and the other anti-stomach acid stuff were not designed initially to be taken for long periods of time just because of this. If you have persistent GURD or reflux, you need to find out why and get it resolved. There are alternatives to aspirin as well.

Best of luck
    Interesting thread.

I'd be interested in knowing more about long term use of (enteric) Aspirin and Prilosec/Omeprazole.
    Are there any internet links with such information? or other sources?

I'd also be interested in knowing what other options are available.

Old home remedy in the south is take a spoonful of vinegar every day. Don't ask me if this works, because I would have to be hurting bad to try it since even the smell of vinegar is horrible.

Mileena

I too would be interested in other options (besides vinegar - sorry Mileena).

I'm still suffering, but not as bad. Put a call in to my cardio on Monday and still haven't heard back and I've stop taking the aspirin.

Freddie, fortunately your arteries are good and you are on Coumadin for ACT so the Aspirin isn't totally necessary.
    The first thing to do is review your diet. You know what I am going to say:
    NO softdrinks
    NO caffeine
    NO spicy foods
    NO fried foods
    NO cigarettes
    NO booze
    Yes, it sounds totally boring, but I've had gut problems in the past and really don't want a repeat, especially
    now that I am taking Coumadin.
    Yesterday at dinner I enjoyed a small piece of lean steak, brown rice, and broccoli. Nothing else.
    Oatmeal cookies are a great snack item with low guilt.

Also, STRESS is a huge contributor to stomach issues.
    Have you started yoga yet?
    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

I'm not sure about the long term effects of aspirin/prilosec is but prilosec shouldn't be taken for more than a couple months because it blocks certain vitamins from being absorbed. My doctor told me I could take it ever other day if I really needed it but he preferred I stopped. I took it for about 4 months. I'm down to just a baby aspirin, sotalol, atenolol, zoloft, and ativan. I am weaning of the ativan and take very very low doses of all of the pills I take so I don't really have problems with heartburn much anymore and if I do a chewable pepto bismol works wonders.
    MV repair 7/26/10 @ the Cleveland Clinic w/Dr. Gillinov Post surgery a-fib, Dressler's, anemia "It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all". ~Albert Camus

Michele -

Do you remember which vitamins are blocked by long term use of Prilosec?

No my doctor told me but was not too specific of the particular vitamins being blocked. And when I had blood tests everything seemed fine on that front so I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor

B-12, but this article has some other interesting facts such as they proton pump inhibitors can do something to calcium channel and cause arrythmias!!! And you know what I stopped having PVCs constantly after I stopped taking them!!! Wow, thanks for asking that question. I still have the PVCs but it isn't constant, such for a couple minutes here and there not all day long like I used to whine about before.

Thanks Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Bina View Post
    Freddie, fortunately your arteries are good and you are on Coumadin for ACT so the Aspirin isn't totally necessary.
    The first thing to do is review your diet. You know what I am going to say:
    NO softdrinks
    NO caffeine
    NO spicy foods
    NO fried foods
    NO cigarettes
    NO booze
    Yes, it sounds totally boring, but I've had gut problems in the past and really don't want a repeat, especially
    now that I am taking Coumadin.
    Yesterday at dinner I enjoyed a small piece of lean steak, brown rice, and broccoli. Nothing else.
    Oatmeal cookies are a great snack item with low guilt.

Also, STRESS is a huge contributor to stomach issues.
    Have you started yoga yet?
    I'm on long term Omeprazole and I also worry about what it's doing to me. Every time I stop taking it, after a couple days, my GERD starts to act up. I'm pretty good with your list, Bina, except for the morning coffee (1/2 caff.), wine, spicy foods and STRESS. Hmmmm, I wonder if cutting out the coffee, halving the wine and taking my Omeprazole every 2 or 3 days would make a difference? One thing I DO know: vinegar is HIGHLY acidic, Mileena, so I don't recommend any one try that approach. But in thinking about it, I put a ton of it on my salad almost evry night. Maybe that's the culprit. I'm not sure I have the discipline to go through a process of elimination.

Freddie, in your case, given the timing of your problems, it does seem like the aspirin is a big contributor to your GERD. Have you tried taking it with Yogurt or some other foods? I know that apirin on an empty stomach can be especially harsh.
    Last edited by JeffM; January 20th, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typos
    AVR - Medtronics 29mm
    porcine valve and partial Maze
    9/12/08 at Fairfax Hospital/Dr. Alan Speir[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

The main thing with taking them for a while is the problem with absorbing vitamins, maybe you should read into taking something else like Nexium. My father in-law has barettes (sp?) esophagus and has been taking Nexium for 10 years now. I used to take Prevacid for about two years. I don't know what kind of problems you'd face from those but it may be worth looking into. Otherwise maybe you can pass up the prilosec every other day if possible and make sure to take vitamins.

It is my understanding that Nexium is also a Proton-Pump Inhibitor and is not available in Generic form (i.e. is Much More Expen$ive). It appears that many Doctors and even Pharmacists are not aware of the Long Term effects of PPI's.

I just went in for my pre-colonoscopy (whooppee!!) discussion with the physician's assistant and she mentioned that prolonged use of prescribed reflux meds can be bad for older women because they block calcium absorption and older women on these reflux meds have been having more trouble with breaking bones. She recommended trying less strong over the counter Xantec (sp?) and Pepsid. She said (my reflux is suddenly bad) aspirin (even coated ones) can have an effect.

I always get messed up after the holidays because I have no will power and eat, eat, eat all the bad stuff. In addition to the list that Bina offered, please add MINT. Definitely a no-no. My doctor had that on a list for me several years ago and I had actually overamped on a bag of baby peppermint patties and sure enough -- they made me miserable. I also cannot eat oatmeal. Oats are okay, like Cheerios, or cookies, but oatmeal gets me. And that vinegar idea......yeeeeshh! So much acid into an already acidy tummy? I do know that these new Kombucha drinks are very very sour and made of fermented go* knows what, but they are very popular for digestive health.

I have decided to go on one baby aspirin every other day for awhile and see if things calm down some. I've also given up my beloved morning glass of orange juice. I no longer use fresh tomatoes on anything. These things are helping me.

Good luck!

Marguerite
    AVR 4/18/06, age 52. Bovine tissue. CE Perimount RSR Model 2800. 23 mm. BAV diagnosed age 27(1981). Moderate stenosis (1.0 cm) 9/03; severe stenosis (.7cm) 12/05, Aortic measure at surgery 4/06, critical (.53 cm)

There was a discussion about long term prilosec a couple weeks ago when I posted a link to the rebate going on. http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...sec-OTC-rebate

I would hope most doctors and pharmacysts would know that UNLESS a doctor prescribes prilosec it should not be used long term. it even says it on the boxes of OTC prilosec and the store brand not to take more than 14 day or to wait 4 months before taking the next 2 week treatment.

Adults 18 years of age and older
    This product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days
    It may take 1 to 4 days for full effect, although some people get complete relief of symptoms within 24 hours

14-Day Course of Treatment
    Swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water before eating in the morning
    Take every day for 14 days
    Do not take more than 1 tablet a day
    Do not chew or crush the tablets
    Do not crush tablets in food
    Do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor

Repeat 14-Day Courses (if needed)
    You may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months
    Do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor

here is a link to the NIH page http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhe...36#a693050-how
    under side effects are
    "People who take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole may be more likely to fracture their wrists, hips, or spine than people who do not take one of these medications. The risk is highest in people who take high doses of one of these medications or take them for one year or longer. The risk may also be higher in people who are 50 years of age or older.

Some people who take omeprazole for a long time may develop weakening of the stomach lining."
    (which seems weird since it is supposed to protect it- I thought)

I'm not sure why Nexium doesn't have the same restrictions since it also has the warning about weak bones http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001062

"People who take proton pump inhibitors such as esomeprazole may be more likely to fracture their wrists, hips, or spine than people who do not take one of these medications. The risk is highest in people who take high doses of one of these medications or take them for one year or longer. The risk may also be higher in people who are 50 years of age or older. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking esomeprazole."

but for some reason it does NOT have the same restrictions ( about no more than 14 days) and even mentions it may take WEEKs to feel the benefit.

"It may take several weeks or longer for you to feel the full benefit of esomeprazole. Call your doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve during this time. Continue to take esomeprazole even if you feel well. Do not stop taking esomeprazole without talking to your doctor."
    Last edited by Lynlw; January 22nd, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Lyn
    Mom to Justin 25 TGA,VSDs, pulmonary atresia/stenosis ect, post/Rastelli, 5 OHS, pacer in and out ... and surgery w/muscle flap for post op infection (sternal osteomyelitis with mediastinitis) www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

Quote Originally Posted by Marguerite53 View Post
    I just went in for my pre-colonoscopy (whooppee!!) discussion with the physician's assistant and she mentioned that prolonged use of prescribed reflux meds can be bad for older women because they block calcium absorption and older women on these reflux meds have been having more trouble with breaking bones. She recommended trying less strong over the counter Xantec (sp?) and Pepsid. She said (my reflux is suddenly bad) aspirin (even coated ones) can have an effect.

I always get messed up after the holidays because I have no will power and eat, eat, eat all the bad stuff. In addition to the list that Bina offered, please add MINT. Definitely a no-no. My doctor had that on a list for me several years ago and I had actually overamped on a bag of baby peppermint patties and sure enough -- they made me miserable. I also cannot eat oatmeal. Oats are okay, like Cheerios, or cookies, but oatmeal gets me. And that vinegar idea......yeeeeshh! So much acid into an already acidy tummy? I do know that these new Kombucha drinks are very very sour and made of fermented go* knows what, but they are very popular for digestive health.

I have decided to go on one baby aspirin every other day for awhile and see if things calm down some. I've also given up my beloved morning glass of orange juice. I no longer use fresh tomatoes on anything. These things are helping me.

Good luck!

Marguerite
    I won't correct a fellow member's typos, but just wanted to post the name of the meds being referred to.
    Zantac and Pepcid are the OTC meds easily available for stomach issues.
    Post op the nurses gave me Zantac for about a week because of a sensitive stomach issue. It worked great.
    And yes, I also have to be careful eating foods with mint, including those lovely chocolate covered ones.
    BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
    INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

I would suggest a gastroenterologist if you have heart burn that bad, I'm sure they have plethora of drugs for heartburn that are fine for long term use.