Patient survey New patient education video Facebook Twitter www.onxlti.com

Thread: Tart Cherry Juice and Coumadin?

Default Tart Cherry Juice and Coumadin?

Has anyone heard about the anti inflammatory benefits of tart cherry juice? I want to try it, but I am not sure if there is an interaction or affect on coumadin dose. If anyone knows, please comment.
    Thanks,
    Barb
    (CRM-mom)
    Barb (CRM-mom) 47 years old

Bicuspid aortic valve from birth, diagnosed Dec. 2001
    AVR surgery 5-6-08, Mercy Heart Center Coon Rapids, MN - Dr. Tell

Yes, I have heard that this juice is beneficial. If you want to drink it, do so and do a test a couple days later to see if it affects the coumadin level and adjust coumadin accordingly.
    2008--- August 27-Thoracic ascending aortic aneurysm dacron sheath repair, 7.0 cms with insertion St. Jude mechanical aortic valve, OR report said 8.0cms...Previous scar tissue kept AA from bursting surgeon said.
    Johns Hopkins, Duke Cameron, MD
    1997---Ross Procedure OHS
    Coag-u-chek xs self monitor/self doser
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/csalvio?ref=name[/url]

Drink away! There shouldn't be any interaction whatsoever.

Thanks! I appreciate the responses!
    Barb (CRM-mom) 47 years old

Bicuspid aortic valve from birth, diagnosed Dec. 2001
    AVR surgery 5-6-08, Mercy Heart Center Coon Rapids, MN - Dr. Tell

Where are you finding this juice? I looked at several markets today and didn't find any. I would also like to start using it and have read many good articles on it.

corrineinwa Guest

We've been taking tart cherry, pomegranate and blueberry juice for a number of years.

Peter finds it helpful with his knee joints.

I get it online from brownwoodacres.com by the case and freeze it until needed.

They have also have dried fruit, softgel capsules and fruit supplement bars.

Are these juices high in sugar? I'd like to try the blueberry juice and the tart cherry but don't like high sugary drinks.

Thanks.

corrineinwa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker Mark View Post
    You can get pure juice. The cranberry IS TART. I suspect that Tart Cherry is, too.
    I'm not sure about the blueberry.
    Cherries contain anthocyanins, the same chemicals that give tart cherries their color, may have more powerful anti-inflammatory effects than aspirin.

Generally, tart cherries are darker in colour and have been found to have higher concentrations of anthocyanins and phenolics than sweet cherries.

Chokeberries contain approx. 1,480mg Anthocyanin per 100g fruit
    Black Raspberry - 589mg
    Wild Blueberry - 558mg
    Cherry - 350-400mg
    Eggbland - 750mg
    Red Grape - 888mg
    Purple Corn 1,642mg

Personally, I like the flavour of the blueberry concentrate over the cherry.

corrineinwa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jkm7 View Post
    Are these juices high in sugar? I'd like to try the blueberry juice and the tart cherry but don't like high sugary drinks.

Thanks.
    I find the tart cherry juice too tart. I don't have a sweet tooth but as is (in water), it has some pucker factor.

In diet 7-UP it is great - a nice long drink. Peter likes his mixed in with his OJ too.

The tart cherry juice we get from Brownwoodacres.com 15g of sugar per 1oz of concentrate.

They also have blueberry, pomegranate, red raspberry (yum) and concord grape concentrates.

I hope it's OK to post the link - I don't own shares in the company or anything! LOL http://www.brownwoodacres.com/fruit_juice_concentrates/

I can't drink pomegranate juice straight because of an interaction with my high dose of Statins (80 mg. Lipitor). I haven't heard of problems with tart cherry juice, but will have to check because it does sound like a good idea. I already buy frozen, unsweetened tart cherries to eat with plain yoghurt, but a splash of said juice in a glass of San Pellegrino sounds like a tea-totaler's idea of heaven. I'm only temporarily totaling my tea, until I get my taste buds back (don't want to waste good wine), but it would be nice to have something pretty and tasty to drink in the mean time.
    CABG, 4 vessels, July 1995, Baylor Hospital, Dallas.
    AVR with Carbomedics 21mm. mechanical valve on 9 April 2009 at Baylor Heart Hospital Plano, Texas, by Dr. G. Kimball Jett.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"][I]I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid. --Bishop, the Android[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

corrineinwa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigOwl View Post
    I can't drink pomegranate juice straight because of an interaction with my high dose of Statins (80 mg. Lipitor). I haven't heard of problems with tart cherry juice, but will have to check because it does sound like a good idea. I already buy frozen, unsweetened tart cherries to eat with plain yoghurt, but a splash of said juice in a glass of San Pellegrino sounds like a tea-totaler's idea of heaven. I'm only temporarily totaling my tea, until I get my taste buds back (don't want to waste good wine), but it would be nice to have something pretty and tasty to drink in the mean time.
    Peter has been on Lipitor (40mg) for a long time. No one warned us about pomegranate or grapefruit juices for that matter (ain't the internet a wonderful thing! ).

I can find no reference to issues with tart cherry or blueberry concentrates for statin users.

I drank tart cheery juice while training for the marathon...a local company in Seneca. NY makes it...available at Wegman's grocery stores and on line, called CherryPharm.
    Tom Price
    AVR and one CABG 1/25/07
    29mm model 3000 Bovine Pericardial Tissue valve

R.W.Knuden makes "Just Tart Cherry". It is sold in many stores in the bottled juice aisle.